Bad news, then good news about DAN equipment insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Way back when, without knowing the details, just my impression of Bennett, knowledge of his salary, and someone I trust telling me that DAN leased him a Mercedes put me off my feed with respect to DAN.

yea, sometimes it is pretty basic.

How do i get in touch with DEPP??

I did a google search and found lots of discussion, but no link to insurance (well lost of links to insurance but no DEPP..)

website, I am pretty sure. I think DAN site has an "equipment" insurance tab.

I used to represent insurers on just the kinds of claims being discussed here. I'm not going to go into the ins and outs of coverage or into whether insurers are good or bad. Everyone should read their policies, whether homeowners, auto, boat, dive, etc. Regardless of what people will tell you, if you are bright enough to use SB, you are birght enough to understand what is or isn't covered. One basic concept is the "all risk" policy. It covers all risks of direct physical loss unless otherwise excluded. Then the policy says what is excluded. Those are things where there are "moral risks" or unpredictable risks or where providing coverage would drive the price of the policy out of sight. An insurance policy is not a substitute for proper maintenance, which is why "wear and tear" generally isn't covered.

You'd be surprised at what is or isn't covered under a typical policy, whether homeowners, auto, boat, etc.

BTW: Dropping a camera overboard is generally not a mysterious disappearance. That's why the "care, custody or control" exclusion exists. Once you give the bcd/camera to someone else, the camera is out of your care, custody and control and if dropped. it ought to be covered.

READ THE POLICY, YOU'D BE AMAZED.

DEPP covers your camera for flooding (if you sign up for flood insurance), accidental damage, loss, DM dropping your camera in the water and it sinks to the bottom and you can't find it, and even accidental breakage on land too. I just signed up today as a matter of fact. I asked all of those questions before paying. They replace the equipment that you have insured. So if you insure a Nikon D200 (my case) they would get you a Nikon D200 as a replacement...

Howard, what happens if the camera is no longer made?
so...if they give you another replacement and it does not fit your housing?

catherine96821:
Howard, what happens if the camera is no longer made?
so...if they give you another replacement and it does not fit your housing?
I didn't ask that. I have a new camera. Call them in the morning... 888-678-4096 - They open at 9am PDT. I would guess that they would compensate you somehow though. Sandy is who I spoke to, and she was very nice.

Back
Top Bottom