Bad service stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good for you soltari675 !!!.....You did exactly the right thing...Hope you reported that individual not only to the appropriate agency but filed a formal written report to the local DA's office.....It's called Wreckless Endangerment and Criminal Negligence.....Be nice if SB would allow you to post that individual's name so everyone knew who to look out for and put them out of business !!!!!!.....

There's nothing like rolling out of an inverted position, attempting to draw a breath and get...nothing! Well, not exactly nothing, but only about 20%...darned short for being at 65 feet. Unpon surfacing and examining the gear, it appears the tank was terribly unmaintained: there was oxidation inside the tank and the "snorkle" on the valve assembly was apparently missing.
True, the shop cleaned and serviced my regulator, but I would much rather they had properly serviced their tanks. It would have prevented a rather "anxious" underwater experience. However, it was a fairly educational one, I must say.

... a narrow bridge with no railing or handholds, and no attachment to either the dock or the boat... the ramp was very steep, and they put the end of it on a little plastic STEPSTOOL...

?!?!

I thought I might have something to add to the thread, but I can't really think of much to follow this one up with. The stepstool is the ultimate "last straw"!

The only bad story I have is about an LDS here in Pensacola. I have an Oceanic Cdx5 first with a Delta 4 second that I got locally from Craigslist. This was while I was planning on getting my OW cert, and didn't have a good rapport with any LDS at that time. I took the regs into this shop for service and was told they can do it, but would be a bad idea because Oceanic makes junk stuff. He then proceeded to show me the Aqualung and Scubapro stuff that he sells, he doesn't sell Oceanic. At that point I became disgusted and left. I then took it to another LDS and was treated great, got my stuff serviced and also signed up for their SDI course. As of that day, I have a wonderful rapport with them and refuse to go to the other store. I just hate when an LDS says some stuff is junk because they don't sell it. From that day forward I warn all my friends that are wanting to get certified to stay away from that shop.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

We did some diving in Bermuda with a small dive shop. I did 3 dives with them, the first 2 were with a DM that I quite liked and was friendly and would give you a decent (although still too short) briefing about the dive site before you entered the water.

the third dive was a much different story though. There was a new DM on the boat in the afternoon and he just said "This is a site with some tunnels. I will be going through them and dont have time to check on you, so buddy up and do your own thing..."

I was by myself that dive, so I had to buddy with another person on the boat that I didnt know at all, which is a little nerve wracking anyway. So we entered the water and we started to follow the people through the tunnels (most were just big rocks with swimmable holes). no big deal so far. I am just following my "buddy" at this point and am not familiar with the site at all. finally we start going through another tunnel and this time is is starting to get dark. On one tunnel its almost pitch black at one point, but I can still make out my buddy in front of me and I see the light on the other side. Its starting to get narrow too, so I didnt even have room to turn around. Im getting a little nervous at this point, but I figure I better stick with my buddy and keep moving forward.

Finally the tunnel starts getting quite narrow and I am worried about getting through (Im the biggest guy on the boat, so if anyone is going to have a problem getting stuck it is me!). At one point I have to squeeze through the rocks with them scraping on both sides of my body and I get the hose going to my gauges caught on something. Im now stuck... This is where I would normally signal my buddy that I have a problem, only he is no where to be found. We are almost out of the tunnels at this point so it is quite light again, but he just kept swimming.

I only had about 10 dives under my belt at this point, but I remained calm. Figure out what is stuck... dont try to force myself through (might damage something). slowly wiggle through until I am free... I was probably only stuck for a minute or two, but of course it felt like a LOT longer than that... finally I found my "buddy" and signaled that we need to stop with the tunnels, which he seemed to agree.

It was not until later when I dove with some MUCH better dive operations that showed me what a real dive briefing should be and how a DM is supposed to take care of the divers.

Most people complain about having to carry their gear, which is inconvenient, but having a DM not prepare you for the site and then not check on you at all is inexcusable and quite dangerous, especially when a site like this really should be reserved for more experienced divers.

Later when I checked online did I see that they had a LOT of bad reviews for similar issues.

Lesson learned... check on a dive operator BEFORE you go diving with them...

on my first boat dive while i was in austialia i only had my OW.
though the operators were very friendly they did not preform any pre dive safety checks, i thought this was very odd. perhaps they were all so familier with each other they thought they didnt need to.
as i was only on my 10th dive i was still getting my head round all the proper procedurs and trying to get into good diving habits.
just before we got in the water i asked how deep we were going, they said "oh about 25m." i said ive only got my OW so they said ok we'll go to 18.
we ended up going to 25.
though i wasnt uncomfortable with this at the time (i was just excited to be in the water), thinking about it later, i should have been.
As i look back on the dive, they did not give an informative site brefing or dive plan, as evidence, having to ask how deep we were going just before entering the water.
we did not plan the dive or dive the plan.
though i am still on my OW i know i have learnt from this experience.
in diving we are all responsible for our own safety and i comend any diver that knows and sticks to their limits even if it means other people get upset with you.
well done!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom