Bahia Principe reportedly closed 15 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icyman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I heard from vacationexpress today that the resort would be closed for 15 days to rebuild from Emilly. This really stinks as we had everything arranged for this trip for months.

Vacationexpress should be able to find another hotel for you. Since Bahia Principe has cancelled your reservation, that money can be applied at another resort. Not sure what the selection of operational resorts will be, but your travel agent should look into this for you. Travel agents are usually pretty good at protecting their clients.

Was this hotel hit particularly hard? 15 days seems like a really long time to be closed.

Sorry to hear about your hotel Icyman. Hopefully that report was an initial overeaction. I just called the Mayan Palace (20 minutes North of Playa Del Carmen). I'm scheduled to be there on Sunday the 24th. He said that they had a few broken windows, and the pool is full of debris, but they should be cleaned up within a day or so. There's a couple of restaurants closed (they have 6 I think), but they should be running again within a few days (hopefully by the weekend). All in all the hotel is up and open for business. They have electricity, air conditioning, and purified running water. After saying all that, he then recommended that we reschedule if that is an option to us.

Whether I reschedule or not depends on what the diving and snorkeling is like, and whether tourist places like Xel-Ha are open or not. Also whether or not the shops in PDC or Puerto Morelos are open for business. All-in-all, I'd much rather go next week than reschedule. The area needs tourism dollars, and I need a vacation :)

Jerry

geraldp:
I just called the Mayan Palace (20 minutes North of Playa Del Carmen).

The Bahia was much closer to the center of things.

icyman,

Are both of the hotels closed?

James

icyman:
I heard from vacationexpress today that the resort would be closed for 15 days to rebuild from Emilly. This really stinks as we had everything arranged for this trip for months.

Hey icyman, did you get your info from www.playadelcarmeninfo.com ?

What alternate arrangements has your agent made with you? (As you can tell I'm going to the same place but my agent has yet to notify me of anything at all).

TorontoDive:
Hey icyman, did you get your info from www.playadelcarmeninfo.com ?

What alternate arrangements has your agent made with you? (As you can tell I'm going to the same place but my agent has yet to notify me of anything at all).

Nope, I am the Agent. I have contacted the vendor, vacation express. They said it is closed and they are trying to put us somewhere else but all the hotels are full. Therefor we won't know if we have a place to stay until tomorrow am.

icyman:
Nope, I am the Agent. I have contacted the vendor, vacation express. They said it is closed and they are trying to put us somewhere else but all the hotels are full. Therefor we won't know if we have a place to stay until tomorrow am.

Thanks icyman, if you find out what's happening, please let me know too - my agent is still in the "I don't know what's going on" phase.

We are booked for Bahia Principe Tulum so our Travel Agent has been trying to keep us updated. Her Email states that Apple vacations reports that they should be opening Aug 3rd. I did not see this at the Apple site. Here is a link.
Apple Vacations Updates
Riviera Maya Hotel Update
Cancun Hotel Update
Cozumel Hotel Update

Back
Top Bottom