Bali Diving for fresh OW divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I’ve been to Bali twice and dived Nusa Penida and Tulamben for just a couple of days before heading out to Komodo each time. From what I reckon everywhere seems to be good for AOW divers up to 30m.

My friend recently got certified and with just 6 dives under the belt - is it worthwhile to go all the way to Bali for diving? I mean with the other expenses like flight tickets (typically ~500USD, add hotel expenses) is it going to be “best bang for the buck” or VFM? I had originally told her to cross at least 18-24 dives before doing the AOW. Should I just recommend she do AOW right away at Bali, in order to have a minimum satisfaction of diving sites like Liberty Wreck properly?

Or are there plenty of colourful dive sites good for just 18m dives?

Or are there plenty of colourful dive sites good for just 18m dives?
I don't think it's a question of depth nor C-Card..
I'm over 1000 dives, last stay in Bali last month I didn't dive deeper than 22-23m... then again, I'm a macro photographer. 18m or 22 m what's the difference? That's marginal.
Having 12 dives after an AOW or being 20 dives doesn't make a big difference either in terms of experience.

That said, I wouldn't recommend an OW to go chasing the Mola mola on Crystal Bay.
Managing the currents are a more important factor in Bali especially in Nusa Penida or Padang Bai dives, may be less so in Amed, hence it's all up to the diver's ease underwater and the capacity of the DM to lead new divers. I've seen divers doing great in Komodo NP on a liveaboard this just after their 5th OW dive, on the other hand I've also seen clumsy or panicking divers with 50-70 dives under their belt.

Best option : ask her if she feels comfortable with that, book a reputable dive centre (Gekodivers in Padang Bai, Dune in Nusa Penida, I have no recommendations for Amed see with SB members working there) with experienced guides (possibly instructors who have the experience with newbies), don't be stingy if that costs a little more than a less expensive but shabby dive centre next door. Great underwater time has incredible value.

Agreed, I will not allow my friend to dive Nusa Penida TBH. The currents and cold needing a 5mm wetsuit and hood will be too much. It looks like PB has some dive sites for beginners as well. If Amed too has some OW novice friendly sites that should be good. I don’t trust my friend to do challenging dives yet and want to ease her into it slowly so I need to be careful what I expose her to.

That said I feel it would be a shame all the way and go there all the way to the Liberty wreck and hover just at 18m…

We all get better with experience on buoyancy, trim, air use and just plain experience of different conditions. That said, with the right attitude and behaviours the AOW is entirely possible for someone with those attributes and the desire to learn. It opens up a more expansive world although you don't really need or have to go "deep".

There are good shops in Amed ( I use Adventure Divers Bali) or Suba With Turk is Amed based and on here.

You know your friend so are better able to judge but most shops won't just "give" the qualification (I know ADB wouldn't). Go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom