Baltimore diver fatality - Bainbridge, PA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
man dies in scuba accident; scuba accident in lancaster county - WPMT
BAINBRIDGE, Lancaster County—
At around 1:20 p.m. Saturday, emergency crews were called to the Bainbridge Scuba Center in Lancaster for a scuba diving accident. Crews transported 39-year old Louis Zerwitz of Baltimore to Memorial Hospital in York where he was pronounced dead.

Susquehanna Regional Police in Lancaster County are investigating the incident and an autopsy has been scheduled for Monday at the Lehigh Valley Medical Center.

No further details. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday (today). The quarry owner speculates in the article below...

Md. man dies in Conoy Twp. scuba diving accident - News

By JON RUTTER Staff Writer
A Maryland man died Saturday after he was transported from a quarry at the Bainbridge Scuba Center in Conoy Township.

Louis Zerwitz, 39, of Baltimore, was taken to Memorial Hospital in York, where he was pronounced dead at 3:37 p.m., according to York County Deputy Coroner Steve Cosey.

"Apparently it was due to a scuba diving accident," Cosey said. "We're not exactly sure what happened."

An autopsy will be performed Monday at the Lehigh Valley Medical Center, Cosey said.

The incident happened at about 1:25 p.m., Cosey added.

Steve Mutchler, owner of the scuba center at 2037 River Road, said emergency responders "were here within minutes and EMTs took charge."

Mutchler said he arrived at the scene shortly after the incident.

"It very much points to diver error," said Mutchler, who began the center some three decades ago.

However, he added about the nature of the death Saturday, "That is only my speculation. It will take a few days to unravel this."

Another Maryland scuba diver, Robert Barrett, 32, died at the quarry 10 years ago. Three divers died there in separate incidents in 1991, 1992 and 1994, according to newspaper records.
Contact Sunday News staff writer Jon Rutter at jrutter@lnpnews.com

Read more: Md. man dies in Conoy Twp. scuba diving accident - News

It happened on Saturday. I was not there but was there next day. Word is that it was a tech diver. Victim was male.

I HEARD (repeat heard) that he had been trained in tech fairly recently and was skills practicing. Does anyone know if this is true?

---------- Post Merged at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:23 PM ----------

With what agency was he trained? When was he trained? Where was he trained?

---------- Post Merged on July 24th, 2012 at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 23rd, 2012 at 01:23 PM ----------

I heard (repeat heard) that the diver had some technical training. If anyone can confirm or deny, please do so.

I heard (repeat heard) that the diver held a certification from UTD agency. If anyone can confirm or deny, please do so.

From Scuba diver's death ruled accidental - News

Preliminary results from an autopsy performed Monday at Lehigh Valley Medical Center showed that Zerwitz died of drowning associated with an air embolism
and
Englert said an initial investigation indicated that Zerwitz's equipment was properly functioning. He said the incident remains under investigation.

Zerwitz had diving experience but Saturday's dive was his first in two-and-a-half years, according to Englert.

I was there this past Wednesday night, and heard (I repeat HEARD) that he got tangled in his reel on one of the deeper boats, and panicked.

I didn't talk to the owner or his wife, but heard it from someone who did. (heard....don't hold me to it if it ...or the source... is not true)

We are always saddened to hear about a death, and in this case a scuba diving fatality. Our sincere condolences to the family and friends of Louis Zerwitz. We have been asked to confirm that Louis was NOT a UTD trained diver and does not hold a UTD certification. He was not wearing or using any UTD equipment while on this dive. It is unfortunately to hear about the accident and once again our condolences to the family and friends of Louis Zerwitz.

Andrew Georgitsis
CEO UTD International LLC

It happened on Saturday. I was not there but was there next day. Word is that it was a tech diver. Victim was male.

I HEARD (repeat heard) that he had been trained in tech fairly recently and was skills practicing. Does anyone know if this is true?

---------- Post Merged at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:23 PM ----------

With what agency was he trained? When was he trained? Where was he trained?

---------- Post Merged on July 24th, 2012 at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 23rd, 2012 at 01:23 PM ----------

I heard (repeat heard) that the diver had some technical training. If anyone can confirm or deny, please do so.

I heard (repeat heard) that the diver held a certification from UTD agency. If anyone can confirm or deny, please do so.

Thank you, Mr. Georgitsis, for the clarification by UDT. Thank you also for your condolences to the family.

Mr. Georgitsis reports that the diver was NOT using UTD diving gear. Does anyone know what kind of gear was the diver using?

Can anyone provide information about the circumstances of this incident?

An earlier post indicates that the divers may have been using a reel. Does anyone know what the divers were doing during the dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom