Banda and Ambon pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like Blue Motion is really putting down solid roots in the area. Hope they are able to keep things running smoothly for the next few years.
Man what an adventure you've just been on. Looking forward to the vid... but I know how long it takes to edit a "quick" video clip! I'm still working on a video of a trip we did a year ago!! ha ha

Nice video,shame no mandarin fish as its a great spot there in Banda to see so many and big one's also around full moon mandarin fish are very active,strange !

Thanks for link,did not know they were out there at this moment of time,nice read

Dear Borahorza

Thank you very much for sharing this nice pics and your info about bluemotion. I had also a look at your flickr-account and really loved your pictures!

Looking forward to my trip to Ambon next year :D.

Ambon muck diving looks extremely good, Banda looks fishy but not exceptional

I am thinking to our next trip and I think the Ambon+Banda combination right now is not favorite compared to Bunaken+Lembeh any opinions welcome

Maluku divers seem a great outfit

I enjoyed your pictures/film very much and thank you for all the useful information.
Some more questions. NBA planes are small. Is it right that there is a 10 kg limit for luggage and is it possible to pay for extra luggage? Did you bring your own gear or did you rent dive gear from Blue Motion? How was the Laguna? Why did you stay there and not in one of the homestays? Is it more comfortable than the other places or did you choose it because it's right next to Blue Motion? Do they have a restaurant or did you always go to Mutiara for dinner? How long did you stay, how many dives did you do and what dive sites? Do they visit all the islands for diving and how many dives do they usually do every day?
How long do you suggest to stay if you want to combine diving, sightseeing and relaxing? Is Blue Motion open all year long or do they close and when?
Sorry one more. Alor or Banda?
Thank you

Whew! Lots of questions! :wink:

Is it right that there is a 10 kg limit for luggage and is it possible to pay for extra luggage? - Yes, 10kg limit, but it is possible to pay for extra luggage (11,000 Rp/kg I believe, and I flew back with someone who travelled with dive gear with no problems). I rented my gear from BlueMotion. How was the Laguna? - see my previous description, I was comfortable there. Originally I planned to stay at Mutiara, but they were full, so I was shown Laguna - I liked the room and stayed there. No resteraunt, just a simple breakfast and tea/coffee when you want it. I ate at a few different places - Mutaria does a big buffet meal if you book in advance, the Delfika resteraunt had some good dishes, and we also had a very tasty meal with lots of dishes privately organised one evening at an older lady's home (she used to work as a cook somewhere).

I stayed 9 days, and dived 14 times. I can't remember the dive site names as I did'nt keep my log book updated.. But from memory Pulau Karaka (my 'check out' dive, pretty shallow corals and mating cuttlefish), the lava flow dive off Gunang Api (really interesting to see how the lava has been totally covered by new coral growth over the last 20 odd years, lots of very healthy coral (staghorn, lettuce, etc), but relatively low biodiversity and not lots of fish). Then a couple of dives off Pulau Pisang (enjoyable wall / slope dives), a night dive for the mandarins, a trip to Batu Kapal (great pinnicle dive, lots of fish action, great viz when I was there), an exploratory dive off Gunang Api checking out a possible 'muck' site (I enjoyed this - saw a big crocodile flathead, lots of razorfish, various little things), a day trip with 2 dives to Pulau Ai (more wall / slope dives with lots of fish), an early morning daytrip first to Hatta Atoll (hoping for hammerheads at 7am, as these had been seen there by a few different livaboards passing through - we were not so lucky as to see them, but had a fast drift dive and saw huge clouds of red tooth triggerfish, a shark in the deep, big 1m+ tuna, barraccudas, turtles, etc) then after an early lunch on Hatta (check out how close the 30m dropoff is to the beach in my earler dive boat pic! :) ) we did a dive into the 'hole' off Pulau Hatta - another good one. Then there was a good dive off the NW coast of Banda Besar with a very beautiful swimthrough, then a wall, then a ridge with lots of fish action (napoleons and bumphead parrotfish).

The only island not regularly visited would be Rhun, because of the distance... But if you're willing to pay a fuel surcharge I guess a visit there could be arranged (a fuel surcharge is also paid for visiting Hatta and Ai, split between the divers). I was happy to do 2 dives a day, but Blue Motion seemed willing to be flexable for customer requirements. I could have done a night dive every evening, but I was also just there for a relaxing holiday :)

At least a week on Banda would be good - some days diving, and some days exploring - climb the volcano, see the plantations, the different islands, beaches and villages, the various forts around the islands, and Bandaniera is a nice little town to explore..

Not sure if the dive shops close. There is another dive shop in Bandaniera, called WaloWalo - but I don't know much about them, and i never visited their dive shop. I met a couple who enjoyed diving with them, and they saw a manta. But I think June - August has more wind and rain (others might know more).

Alor or Banda... Purely for the diving I'd say Alor, because of the mix of muck and reef, warmer and cold water sites there. Banda diving is more great viz, wall diving, and lots of fish. But as an overall holiday destination, the beauty and history of the islands make the Bandas a very special place to visit in my opinion! Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for replying to so many questions. I visited Indonesia for the first time in 1996 and it is 10 years now that I want to visit Banda, but the difficulties to visit Banda, the lack of time and then it is such a big country with so many interesting places made me choose other places. Perhaps next year I will visit Banda so your information is very useful.
Once again, thank you very much for your help.

your swim through pic just found a home as my phone's screensaver - thanks Bora!

Back
Top Bottom