Baptist Lake & Lake 16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:D I'm just happy it's in circulation. Better that it's seen and used than just sitting in a file on my computer. I should have said something to that effect on the file.

I'm working on the logistics for re-lining the lake currently. I want a place where cave procedures can be practiced. (I don't think this would interfere with open water practices.. Instruction or otherwise.

Would it be better to start a new thread for this discussion? Is this the right forum to be posting discussion of line changes in lake 16?

If desired, when I get a little closer I'll post a proposed line placement "map." If anyone has any concerns, ideas, or whatever please respond to this or PM me. Thanks!

Wayne

Averill:
:D I'm just happy it's in circulation. Better that it's seen and used than just sitting in a file on my computer. I should have said something to that effect on the file.

I'm working on the logistics for re-lining the lake currently. I want a place where cave procedures can be practiced. (I don't think this would interfere with open water practices.. Instruction or otherwise.

Would it be better to start a new thread for this discussion? Is this the right forum to be posting discussion of line changes in lake 16?

If desired, when I get a little closer I'll post a proposed line placement "map." If anyone has any concerns, ideas, or whatever please respond to this or PM me. Thanks!

Wayne

That would be a good idea I spent an hour down there today and the map if off a bit and the dive bell needs some more repair. Let me know if you need any help sound like a fun project.

JT

Where is the map off? Is it a line missing, or is something wrong with the map itself? Let me know and I'll correct it and get a newer version on-line.

Last season the bell and the shallow platform were pretty messed up. But, I had heard someone fixed them. Do you know what would be needed to correct the problems?

How was visibility? It's usually pretty good this time of year, but a buddy told me it was surprisingly poor a few weeks ago. Well.. I guess really poor would be absolutely no vis in that lake... LOL I really want to get up there, maybe this week. Sucks that I live over an hour away. It's a fun lake. :shakehead

I have been doing some thinking and I've had a few discussions about the re-lining project. The consensus, I think, is that I need some more caving experience before I undertake the project. Hopefully I'll soon have the experience needed. Until then, I hope things hold together with new knots and some patches. :D

I can't say for sure as I did not take notes but I think the line from the Banana Wagon goes to the bat mobile not blue thunder. Then the line to Sluggos Yacht comes from Blue Thunder. Also is Rocket lady the boat with the outboard motor? Seems like the farthest boat out had a different name but I don't remember. Vis was 20' not anything like the ice dive we did March 3rd from a depth of 60' I could easily see the hole cut in the ice it was awesome.

I am going back on Saturday or Sunday let me know if you want to go.

Opps forgot the wifes birthday this weekend maybe I will go Thursday night.

some questions about lake 16...

Ive never been here yet so...

Ive looked at the map of the lake that was posted before ... are the depths of everything the circle 60 - 80+ feet?

Where is the best entrance or is there just one?

Last one do a lot of people here get together and dive... I dont have anyone to dive with so if its that deep i would like to know if anyone would like to meet up..

Yes the circles are the depth.

You enter from the boat launch ramp in the parking lot. (N 42° 33.990' x W 085° 36.628') There is a (usually) smelly outhouse and that's about it. Take a dive flag as there are fishermen on the lake.

Mike of American Dive Zone in Grand Rapids told me he's going to be there this Saturday morning (May 19, 2007) at 9:00 am with a group. Maybe you can join in. Give him a call. It's probably the best gear-check-out dive you'll do before you dive any deep wrecks in the big lake.

Back
Top Bottom