Bar Harbor in Trouble!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PAdiver93

Contributor
Reaction score
Not really - my buddy's family and I (yes, kids and wives are also coming) will be renting a house in Gouldsboro (sp.?). Wife keeps wondering why exactly did we have to get a beach front house when she actually likes the lakes?? :wink: I think she will realize exactly why when she sees all of the scuba gear being packed.

Anyways, here is the usual set of questions - Which dive spots are a MUST? Where can we get air fills? What to watch out for (we are both AOW with a ton of Jersey diving experience).

What we look for: I know we can't take lobsters and crabs(true?); I know we can't spear striped bass. Keeping that in mind - any good spearfishing spots (and I guess what do you shoot up there)? Also - can anyone provide a link to the local (and somewhat reliable) tide tables.

Thank you in advance!

Come on - somebody! ))))

Don't take any lobsters and crabs. There's a recent post about that so do a little searching. Basically look but don't touch. There are a couple of dive clubs in the area like the underwater super friends or something like that. As magic chicken said, check out spectrum's site. he's got a lot of great info. and has helped me out many times!

I just got back from Bah Hahbah last week.

I think the the nearest place is in Hamilton Marine in Southwest Harbor

Don't forget to rent a mtn bike and ride the carriage roads in Acadia NP around Jordan Pond. Go early in the morning before the crowds show up.

Hello from Bar Harbor. We have a weekly dive charter run by Diver Ed that leaves the COA pier on Sunday Mornings at 8AM. Eddie can be contacted at 207-288-3483. Scallop season in Maine is from December 1 - April 15, so there would be no scalloping this time of the year. Crabs are legal to take. I've never seen any spearfishing here in my 4 years of diving this area. As for certifications.... Eddie is an instructor, but this is his busy time of the year. So you might need to discuss options with him.

Air fills... the closest place to Bar Harbor is Hamilton Marine in South West Harbor. Here is the current tide chart from the Bar Harbor Times newspaper. http://mdi.villagesoup.com/Community/story.cfm?storyID=170282

You can also check out our local dive club at The League of Underwater Superheroes. Spectrum's list is great for this area too. There are some nice shore dives to be had while in the area as well.

If you need anything else, just ask!

Thank you all!!! (Leaving tonight) Will post dive reports soon )))

Hey John, just in case you have web access this trip report may also be of specific interest. We repeated the trip last summer. The weather made it tough sledding but it was worth it.

Be sure to enjoy WERU radio, it will help take you to another world.

Spending a day at Little Hunter beach in the park is a must do.

Back Beach in Bernard isn't much to look at but always pleases us.

Pond Island on Schoodic can be great.

Sommes sound was very nice. The town park opposite the boatyard was a very nice dive with good space for the family to play. The boatyard was a great dive but not a family place. I don't know if they accommodate divers on weekdays. There are 1 or entries on Sargent drive but the parking is wicked limited.

Lamoine beach, down past the state park is our traditional shake-down dive.

There a loads more we have not tried. I look forward to hearing so great finds when you report back.

Have a wonderful week. be sure to get a jar of fresh homemade blueberry jam from a roadside stand. Just as you get close to Hamilton marine there is a lady with a hillside jam stand. That stuff made the most incredible PB&J sandwich. Especially nice after a dive to kill the salt on your palette. She runs out so stock up!

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom