A new normal...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Pete.... I know that you don't know me from Adam..... but my and my wife's positive thoughts are with you brother. Hang in there and hold the course just the same as you have on the many challenges in your life. I know that you have a lot of family members here on the forum that care about you and are routing for you....

Find good doc's to give you advice. Get 2nd and third opinions, Don't be afraid to take positive steps to make things better. As an almost 70 year old, I am so happy that I went forward with necessary "fixes" including full hip and shoulder replacements where I ended up saying to myself......"self......why didn't you do this sooner"

It was up there in the top 10 most painful life events
Isn't it??? As a former mechanic, I learned to absorb pain. Burns, cuts, gouges, and I even broke a bone straightening out a twist in some metal. It just needed to be done, no matter the pain incurred.

But this is incessant. I can no longer find a comfortable position to drive my van. Today, I realized that I cannot stand up straight. I clutch at my left butt cheek from the first step now. Waiting till Friday for those injections. Completely prepared to be disappointed yet once more.
Being in chronic pain sucks and it's easy to want to give up. Hang in there, Pete.
Thanks. I haven't and won't give up. But, I'm not a fool, either. I'm old. I don't heal like I did when I was a kid. My Grand Nephew keeps on me about "buy by" dates. I hope he never finds one on me!!! :D :D :D I did show him a picture of "Ancient Himalayan Sea Salt" that had a lapsed "sell by" date.

I know that you don't know me from Adam
You're a ScubaBoarder. What else do I need to know?

Isn't it??? As a former mechanic, I learned to absorb pain. Burns, cuts, gouges, and I even broke a bone straightening out a twist in some metal. It just needed to be done, no matter the pain incurred.

But this is incessant. I can no longer find a comfortable position to drive my van. Today, I realized that I cannot stand up straight. I clutch at my left butt cheek from the first step now. Waiting till Friday for those injections. Completely prepared to be disappointed yet once more.

Thanks. I haven't and won't give up. But, I'm not a fool, either. I'm old. I don't heal like I did when I was a kid. My Grand Nephew keeps on me about "buy by" dates. I hope he never finds one on me!!! :D :D :D I did show him a picture of "Ancient Himalayan Sea Salt" that had a lapsed "sell by" date.
Yup...it's awful. I had never had anything like that that reduced me to popping pain pills, muscle relaxers, etc. applying heat and still being able to do nothing but roll around on the floor and groan in agony. Most of the other dumb stuff I have done to myself might have hurt like hell for a little bit, but then eased up and/or was controllable with medicine until it mended a bit. This was a whole new experience.

This was a whole new experience.
Mine usually stops hurting if I sit in a recliner or lie on my bed. Most of the time. I only allow myself to take Oxy when I'm going to sleep.

Sciatica hurts like freaking hell. I have piriformis syndrome aka false sciatica. The piriformis muscle gets irritated and clamps down on the sciatic nerve. I have the same shooting pains down my leg, etc. Deep tissue/trigger point massage works for me.

Sciatica hurts like freaking hell.
Thankfully I don't have that in addition to the piriformis. It's enough pain by itself.

A new reality. A new normal. Last year, I was my sister's sole caregiver as she was in her final weeks of life. I was not fully trained in how to assist her, and on January 15th i severely injured my back. I've had one surgery already, and about 2 months after, a new pain emerged. They've given me two steroid injections, but my back pain is worsening. It used to be I could stand for five/ten minutes, but now the nerve is in pain/tension all the time. I think I'm mentally blocking most of the pain, so I just feel the tension. Standing up is over the limit, and I often have pain induced Tourette's. Walking is better than standing, but it also hurts. Sigh. I went to my physician today and I'm going to apply for full disability. Since I live alone, she's going to start the paperwork for a motorized wheelchair... I don't want a scooter. I can survive in the house, but I can't clean anymore. It's an emotional day. I am getting two more steroid shots next Friday and a nerve conduction study the Wednesday after.

It's been well over a year and I'm still in pain. I'm hoping for relief, but I won't believe it until I have no more pain. It's time to plan like this will be permanent. I'm not so much disappointed as I am resigned to it. I don't want to stop trying whatever I can do to be whole again, but I just don't see it happening.

So, talk to me about options. I'm starting my online application for full disability. As I noted my physician is doing the paperwork for a wheelchair. I can walk a few minutes at a time, and I feel relief in the water. What's next? What are your suggestions, and please be verbose. I need specifics. Type slowly so I can keep up. :D :D :D

@DiveHeart
Unfortunately I can offer no advice but thought I should at least offer my most sincere sympathy for your plight, I’m sure others will come forward with anything helpful that could make things better for you, good vibes your way from a fellow diver.

They sent a video about the upcoming procedure. Even though I've had two already, I far better understand the process they'll be using. I have to give Kudos to Meroney and UF Health. I'd share it with you, but it's password protected.

One thing I might have failed to mention, is that Meroney and Decker feel that they will succeed where the last guy just gave up on me. I do need to keep reminding myself of that. As those who know me are aware of, I'm usually quite upbeat about most things. 14 months of pain have jaded my otherwise almost offensive perky personality. That video was a great way to not only prepare and educate me, but to put things into perspective. It's kind of the opposite of treating the patient like a mushroom, if you know what I mean.

FWIW, I shared a bit about this on this Saturday's "ScubaRadio", if you can find it on your AM dial, or online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom