Barbados Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got to thank everybody for the very helpful information that has been shared! And a really big thanks to RICHinNC who sent me a PM with a bunch of links to extremely informative threads. Rich those provided us with a wealth of valuable info! :)

Glad to hear that. Just be sure to do a trip report.

And Jeeptrick, you are right. Operators with boats prefer you to go with them. And, I do that a lot. But there are a number of good shore dives and boat operators need to learn how to cultivate them into the island diving scheme so that both the diver and the boat operator benefit. If it becomes pure competition, both will lose.

This is some great information. My wife and I will be in Barbados may 3-10, Mostly to surf but also to do a few days of diving. Can anyone recommend a dive operator? I heard there were some that would give a discount if you have your own equipment? This is my first time in Barbados and i am sort of on a budget, so any recommendations about anything inexpensive is fine with me. Bill

The dive shop Barbados Blue will rent you tanks and weights. Also rent or bring a floating dive flag as the reefs are a good swim from shore (15-20 minutes). The shop staff will suggest their favorite shore dives and tell you which sites can experience currents. Be safe and be aware their is no surface support if you get into trouble on these shore dives.

A couple of young fit gentlemen came to the island to shore dive. They got tanks from The Dive Shop (Dive Barbados), Barbados blue likely won't rent you tanks. I have seen to many people turned away. They did go to Barbados blue for advise about where to go. They did a boat dive with them to do the Stavronikita and during the boat ride talked about their experiences shore diving Barbados. I told them to join scubaboard and tell everyone what they did thought. I haven't seen that happen yet but what I got from them was that the currents made for a tough go of it getting out to dive sites from shore and there is no way they could do the bank reefs or the Stav from shore. Parking near the dive sites is not always available and so hiking about with your kit on has no appeal for me. I hope they show up here and fill in the details.

Locations like Bonaire that are primarily known for shore diving, still , IMHO, they have a very active boat diving participation from visitors. It is something the local ops have worked into a symbiotic relationship.

If the operators on Barbados could...would.....get together and cultivate the shore diving opportunities there I really think the visitation of Barbados would increase both among the diver and snorkler as well.

In the big picture, this would not only obviously help the dive operators but it would help the general community with more tourist dollars spent.

There will always be competition between dive ops, but if they unify and develop the "Barbados experience" every one there will find it a win win situation.

I will always be going to Barbados because of not only the diving but the overall island experience and the people.

I am not saying shore diving is a bad thing, just that with currents and such it is not practical if you dive to relax. It's not Bonaire, it's Barbados. If you want to get tired and stressed and then have to swim back to shore a couple km's from your vehicle after missing the dive site great but what if you don't make it back, what is the shop that rented you the tanks responsibility. Waver right. Wavers mean nothing if someone wants to sue. People are not smart, during a post dive briefing for getting off the boat I have to tell people not to put their feet between the steps while going down the ladder. You would not think that is a called for instruction but it is cause it happens. Considering how many people don't feel that DM's should be babysitters you would be surprised to find out how many people make comments about dive shops being unsafe due to DM to diver ratios or how many people run out of air even when DM's remind them to check their gauges, with hand signals, numerous times during dives. I am sure you are a safe responsible diver but there are far to many who say they are but are fools and idiots. I am just saying. I will continue to tell people what I know about diving on their own, how to find the sites and such but no one controls the currents, the weather or the creatures and the shops and government would have to both get behind it to make shore diving practical. Government is not interested in the dive industry. While lots of divers are in to it because of a love for the sea, nobody is in the business to not make money, pay for their boats and pay their staff. Fact. Anyway, I will likely be back on the island next winter season because it is a safe , fun, friendly, beautiful place and I love it here.

The dive shop Barbados Blue will rent you tanks and weights.

I'm here now and Barbados Blue will not rent tanks. They seemed rather pushy about getting me to use them for boat diving.

Eco is booked full this week. Who else should I book with? I know that RICHinNC will have some opinions :)

I'm here now and Barbados Blue will not rent tanks. They seemed rather pushy about getting me to use them for boat diving.

Eco is booked full this week. Who else should I book with? I know that RICHinNC will have some opinions :)

from above, " Barbados blue likely won't rent you tanks. I have seen to many people turned away."

If you were in their shop did you expect they are going to send you to another shop or talk to you about boat diving with them,
so that does not sound pushy or unusual to me.
Who did you end up diving with? How was the diving, what did you see?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom