Question Bare arms & legs in Bangka, Bunaken & Lembeh in April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulcalf

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone seems to wear full wetsuits, in all the images I see of people diving in Indonesia.

I prefer diving in a short sleeve rash vest and shorts, will I be ok in April or do I need to protect my arms and legs from stingy things?

This isn't a temperature related what wetsuit question.

I've dived the Similans in Thailand in rash vest and shorts in December and February. I didn't get stung and wasn't cold.

I remeber having to wear a stinger suit on the Gt Barrier reef for protection from box jelly fish.

Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but just tried my full length Fourth Element thermocline on and it's a bit snug - so ill probably need to buy something else if i need to be concerned about stingy things.

Ive got a 5mm wetsuit but that seems like overkill to me.

I have dived this area quite a few times, I use a long sleeve rash vest and shorts.

I do get the occasional sting, mostly on my legs.
It is all from plants, the long brown hydroids sprouting up from the bottom that your legs can drift into in shallow water.

You’ll be fine barring the occasional drifting small thing but no jellyfish issues or major hits so long as you stay clear of hydroids. Current in this area isn’t a major concern and neither is surge so you should be good. Temperature wise you will be fine. My partner dives in his Waterlust tiger shark leggings everywhere at minimum just in case.

Would wear at least a thin suit which covers your legs as well.

I've learned my lesson with this.

Even a little glancing brush up with fire coral can leave me with an angry rash for weeks that requires a topical steroid. (yes I know, control that buoyancy!). If I was just doing a few dives that's one thing, but on a trip where you're spending 30-50 hours in the water, not worth the risk.

Highly underestimated.

Attachments

• anemone.jpg
    anemone.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 77
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom