Bare Nex-Gen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to second divetank. Call Richard and he will make you a great deal.

I'm a new drysuit diver but with my very limited experience I'm very happy with mine. It's a very high quality made suit.

cinder4320:
I just got a bare Nex-Gen Pro (Womens) from Divetank for Christmas. Its been great so far.

One word of caution though. The seals are extremely tight (neck and wrist). The wrist made my hand puff up and turn colors in a matter of minutes. The neck is easy to trim and has the lines in the latex for cutting. The wrist, however, doesn't appear that it should be cut and BARE never mentions being able to trim it. I ended up having to trim the wrist seals even though they aren't designed to be. (At first it doesn't appear that trimming would do any good since it is more like a tube thats the same size than a cone which slowly gets larger). Trimming did help some as now a thin band cuts off circulation instead of a longer one.

I'm sure this is confusing as most wrist seals are made to be trimmed but if you check out this suits seals you'll understand the problem. I posted about this when I first purchased the suit and found others who experienced the same thing. I'm sure if you search here you'll find some old threads on the suits too.

Miranda

No one told you to but the pepsi cans in the wrist seals when you first got it?

Of all the dive gear I've purchased the NexGen is the only piece I truly regret buying. Poor fit and leaky knees. It took 4 tries by the Bare to finally fix the leaky knees (which leaked right from the start). There was always the implication that the leaks were imaginary, once past that, my fault. Bare's solution for the leaky knees was to glue a batch on the inside of each leg all the way around the knee which reduced my mobility and made the suit hard to don and doff. The patch also made walking and putting on my dive boots more difficult.
I had the misfortune of getting a dud and I'm sure there are many satisfied NexGen divers. For me it all comes down to customer service and Bare had four chances to make me a happy customer - they failed and I will never buy a Bare product again.

cheers

I just bought one of these suits..it is a very good suit..just have to get used to diving dry and the squeeze with it.

Spratman:
If you are looking at them, Richard at Divetank has some rentals that he's selling with a six month warranty for about $450. www.divetank.com

Is that a phone order special? The website says $599.

I´ll admit I did not read all the posts. I have 80+ dives on my Nex-Gen. The most recent on Jan 3 in 33F water. No complaints here.

ReefHound:
Is that a phone order special? The website says $599.

You should call him. He'll tell you what he has available right at that moment and cut you a good deal. Got a DUI cheaper than online.

I own a Bare Nex-Gen drysuit and think its a pretty decent suit. Only three things I wished I'd considered more seriously was the cost of the undergarment, rear zipper that requires a buddy, and no suspenders to hold it up during surface intervals.

I've had no leaks, the seals seem sturdy, and it dries very quickly.

I wore the DUI 400gram thinsulate for warmth. I dive solo quite a bit so I had the dog leash to clip onto my zipper and close it myself. The lack of suspenders, I never did solve that problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom