Basic camera options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Djinn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just got back into diving after several years away. Now that I'm all growed up and making decent money I've decided to go on a diving tour of South East Asia; Coron Bay Wrecks in the Philippines, Diving with Whale sharks in Thailand, and a few other places.
I want to obviously capture these dives with some great videos and photos but I'venever used a camera while diving before. I'm thinking the best option is to get an 8k gopro and strap it to my head so I can just record and forget about it, concentrate on my dive and see what I get at the end. Plus 8k means taking photo stills from the video will be easier and great quality.
However, if anyone has any better advice about equipment or how to handle the camera, I'd love to hear it.

If you want the simplest video camera for underwater, the Go Pro (with waterproof case) may well be your best choice, particularly for long running videos.

I used to use the Nikonos 35mm film camera system (for about 20+ years) and think of myself as a still photographer who occasionally does videos. With that in mind, I bought a SeaLife Micro 3.0 about a year ago. So far it’s only been on two trips with me, to the Bahamas and to Florida, but I am extremely happy with it. I put it on a one piece arm and tray and added a video light (like the GP there’s no way to use a strobe) and I’m good to go.
Froggie 🐸

Attachments

• C720CEA0-46EB-47BB-8632-BA97D21FD3D2.jpeg
    C720CEA0-46EB-47BB-8632-BA97D21FD3D2.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 17
I want to obviously capture these dives with some great videos and photos but I'venever used a camera while diving before. I'm thinking the best option is to get an 8k gopro and strap it to my head so I can just record and forget about it, concentrate on my dive and see what I get at the end. Plus 8k means taking photo stills from the video will be easier and great quality.
I think that’s a great idea for several reasons. First, as a newer (or recently renewed) diver, your focus should be on your diving. Adding the task of a handheld camera at an early stage is a bad idea. Second, the GoPro is a solid and versatile camera. After you’ve got a few dives in and are feeling more comfortable, you could mount it to a handheld platform with video lights.

Now a couple pieces of advice with the mask mount, or head mount. Position the camera so the mask lens and camera lens are at the same angle. The GoPros have a pretty wide field of view, with some options to customize, but this positioning gives me the most success at ensuring that what I look at will be in frame. The head mount is not the most stable platform. You can whip your head around to look at something pretty quickly. That doesn’t translate very well on video. The GoPros can stabilize a lot of the shakiness, but there is a limit. A few things will help to ensure that your videos don’t end up being an unwatchable mess. First, try to slow down your head movement. Related, be sure to pause when looking at your subject allow it to leave the frame before moving on. That will help with the next step. Edit your video. This is probably most important. No one wants to watch a video of every second of the dive. Keep it to the highlights.

Just got back into diving after several years away. Now that I'm all growed up and making decent money I've decided to go on a diving tour of South East Asia; Coron Bay Wrecks in the Philippines, Diving with Whale sharks in Thailand, and a few other places.
However, if anyone has any better advice about equipment or how to handle the camera, I'd love to hear it.
dive volk

My dive buddy had good luck putting a GoPro on a stick. This allows for some extra distance between your regulator and the sea life - making the subjects less skittish. Also, there's more awareness of aiming and moving the camera - it actually seems to help eliminate the "jerkiness".

My dive buddy had good luck putting a GoPro on a stick. This allows for some extra distance between your regulator and the sea life - making the subjects less skittish. Also, there's more awareness of aiming and moving the camera - it actually seems to help eliminate the "jerkiness".
So long as the photographer is courteous with the Go-Pro-On-A-Stick (which, I suppose really applies to any photographer). More than once, I have experienced having a Go-Pro-On-A-Stick shoved in front of my face by someone trying to get a shot of something that I was already in front of trying to get a look at. On one trip it became a running joke between my wife and me, where we would refer to Mr. Go-Pro-On-A-Stick Guy. I suppose the configuration can have advantages, as you point out, but just be careful not to be Mr. Go-Pro-On-A-Stick Guy.

I should add that not only does the stick apparently increase the temptation to maneuver the GoPro in front of another diver, but it may also increase the temptation to put the GoPro closer to marine animals than would otherwise be advisable. Don't chase or disturb the animals.

@Lorenzoid , I'm talking diving in Bonaire. If there's more than one truck already at the dive site we typically consider it too crowded and move on. And we stay well away from other divers - it's a big reef.

I think that’s a great idea for several reasons. First, as a newer (or recently renewed) diver, your focus should be on your diving. Adding the task of a handheld camera at an early stage is a bad idea. Second, the GoPro is a solid and versatile camera. After you’ve got a few dives in and are feeling more comfortable, you could mount it to a handheld platform with video lights.

Now a couple pieces of advice with the mask mount, or head mount. Position the camera so the mask lens and camera lens are at the same angle. The GoPros have a pretty wide field of view, with some options to customize, but this positioning gives me the most success at ensuring that what I look at will be in frame. The head mount is not the most stable platform. You can whip your head around to look at something pretty quickly. That doesn’t translate very well on video. The GoPros can stabilize a lot of the shakiness, but there is a limit. A few things will help to ensure that your videos don’t end up being an unwatchable mess. First, try to slow down your head movement. Related, be sure to pause when looking at your subject allow it to leave the frame before moving on. That will help with the next step. Edit your video. This is probably most important. No one wants to watch a video of every second of the dive. Keep it to the highlights.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

So long as the photographer is courteous with the Go-Pro-On-A-Stick (which, I suppose really applies to any photographer). More than once, I have experienced having a Go-Pro-On-A-Stick shoved in front of my face by someone trying to get a shot of something that I was already in front of trying to get a look at. On one trip it became a running joke between my wife and me, where we would refer to Mr. Go-Pro-On-A-Stick Guy. I suppose the configuration can have advantages, as you point out, but just be careful not to be Mr. Go-Pro-On-A-Stick Guy.

I should add that not only does the stick apparently increase the temptation to maneuver the GoPro in front of another diver, but it may also increase the temptation to put the GoPro closer to marine animals than would otherwise be advisable. Don't chase or disturb the animals.
Noted. I'm 95% certain I'll stick with head mount idea, but if I do use a stick during a dive I'll be certain not to be a nuisance to anyone else or the wildlife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom