Basic camera options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So long as the photographer is courteous with the Go-Pro-On-A-Stick (which, I suppose really applies to any photographer). More than once, I have experienced having a Go-Pro-On-A-Stick shoved in front of my face by someone trying to get a shot of something that I was already in front of trying to get a look at. On one trip it became a running joke between my wife and me, where we would refer to Mr. Go-Pro-On-A-Stick Guy. I suppose the configuration can have advantages, as you point out, but just be careful not to be Mr. Go-Pro-On-A-Stick Guy.

I should add that not only does the stick apparently increase the temptation to maneuver the GoPro in front of another diver, but it may also increase the temptation to put the GoPro closer to marine animals than would otherwise be advisable. Don't chase or disturb the animals.
with me it would have been "guy with the gopro on the stick I broke in half" long before it would have become a running joke.. just saying

Just got back into diving after several years away. Now that I'm all growed up and making decent money I've decided to go on a diving tour of South East Asia; Coron Bay Wrecks in the Philippines, Diving with Whale sharks in Thailand, and a few other places.
I want to obviously capture these dives with some great videos and photos but I'venever used a camera while diving before. I'm thinking the best option is to get an 8k gopro and strap it to my head so I can just record and forget about it, concentrate on my dive and see what I get at the end. Plus 8k means taking photo stills from the video will be easier and great quality.
However, if anyone has any better advice about equipment or how to handle the camera, I'd love to hear it.
Never strap to your head, every person I know who has done this has lost it. TG-7 and SeaFrogs housing is a good option.

I have my go pro on a soft goodman handle (actually attached to a small light that is on the goodman goodman handle)

I film when there's something interesting and forget about it the rest of the time.

I dont imagine filming the entirety of a ~ hour dive will yield interesting results, but then again, I dive in the limited viz of Monterey/Carmel, as opposed to the South Pacific/ Coral Sea.

Are you a photographer who wants to shoot occasional video or are you a videographer that occasionally shoots photos? Are you a macro photographer or a wide angle type guy? I just got my wife a killer GoPro rig for our anniversary, the new AOI GoPro case ($$$) which comes with a 5" LCD screen and full controls, a Sola 15K lumens video light that is mounted on top, and a GoPro 12 (27MP). She is a videographer that never shoots photos except by accident. A wide angle lens is mounted. Other than having two lights, that is state of the art. I on the other had, have an Olympus TG-6 with two Inon D-240z strobes. I never shoot anything but macro, and the occasional video of a macro subject where movement is interesting, although you can certainly take wide angle shots and mount a wide angle lens on the case. If you are a video type guy, the GoPro 12 is definitely the way to go, although you might not want to spring for the AOI case ($1500). I would not recommend a mask mount or a stick. The GoPro 12 has very good stabilization, but you need to see what you are filming, make sure that your settings aren't messed up, and you need to be able to stop/go without too much screwing around underwater. Putting the GoPro on a tray makes it easy to stabilize, and see what you are doing. A stick gave me jerky video, that induces vertigo, LOL!

If you are more of a macro or photograph guy, get a TG-7. A phenomenal and flexible camera that the Nauticam rep called the industry's "dirty little secret" because it takes such great shots, especially macro. During a photo workshop in Lembeh Straits, my shots were generally as good (but of course, not always . . . there were some very good photographers in the workshop with very expensive gigantic rigs) as the giant rigs. You can always screw on a wide angle lens for it. The photos blow away what you can get from a GoPro, and without a macro lens, the GoPro is useless for true macro.

Based on what you are saying, I'd go with a T-6 and then build from there.

Or, if you want to go economy class, cameras and lights have come so far these days that you can go used and cheap and still get some really good results.

I know that nobody is interested in someone else's trip video......but this YouTube is of vid that I shot on Bonaire back in 2013 and is a good example of what you can get for REALLY cheap these days. You can get a Canon Powershot and Canon housing, put it on a tray with a couple of LED lights all for less than $400 total....

Thank you everyone for the information and advice.
I will be recording the dive for myself as something to look back on. I don't know if I'll get into underwater videoing in any way other than personal. And since I'm going to be traveling around the Philippines and Thailand for 7 weeks, I think a smaller setup is best. So, I've decided to get a GoPro 12 with a few mounting options; head, chest, selfie-stick, floating hand grip, etc. I'll be able to use it for a variety of holiday activities. And if I decide to move on to a different setup, I can still use the GoPro for other activities.
Thank you all again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom