Basic PADI Cert to OW/AOW Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

checkyourmirrors

Registered
Reaction score
I received PADI's Basic certification in 1983 when PADI didn't have an OW certification. I have been diving a fair amount this year and was considering upgrading to the AOW certification. However I am get many different answers on what my option is and can't get a clear, consistent answer.

My plan was to take the AOW course, effectively skipping the OW certification. PADI never created a transition plan for those that got the Basic cert before OW was created. Does anyone know what the real story is and how I can get that to an LDS?

For background some have said I only needed to do the OW dives, other have said I need to retake the whole class and others have said I could jump to the AOW.

I would write to PADI themselves for the definitive answer. At the very least you should have their OW certification and should be able to go on to other classes from there. At best the standards for a class in 1983 may equal OW and AOW of today so you might be given both, however I wouldn't hold your breath on that.

But do give PADI a call, or send an email. I am sure as long as you are in their records you can work out at least the OW card from them, though I doubt you'll need it.

And if you just go to your LDS and show what you have, they will probably sign you up for AOW if you like.

It appears you need to upgrade to Open Water before taking on AOW, see below.

From the PADI Instructor manual, pg 28 general standards and procedures:

What is the PADI Basic Diver certification and how are basic divers upgraded to Open Water Divers?

Prior to 1987, there were two entry-level PADI certifications -Basic Diver and Open Water Diver. Basic Divers completed most of the same performance requirement as Open Water Divers, however, they only completed two training dives.

To upgrade a Basic Diver, conduct a PADI Scuba Review program, remediating knowledge and skills as necessary. Then, conduct Open Water Training Dives 3 and 4 and include the Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent (CESA) on one of the dives (You may conduct a CESA on Dive 3 only if you omit the buddy breathing ascent)

Last edited:
Now that seems easy enough!

in 1983 when PADI didn't have an OW certification.
Being nit-picky, I'll point out that PADI actually did offer Open Water Diver certifications in 1983. As I type this, I'm looking at a 1983 PADI Open Water Diver card and a 1982 PADI manual that mentions both Basic Scuba Diver and Open Water Diver certifications. But it seems James Bond gave you the definitive answer you actually need.

Back
Top Bottom