Bauer BP13 - what should I know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's my plan - plenty of bank to cover expected needs. Compressor runs will be done with circumstances are right - mainly when they won't anger the neighbors or wife, to refill the banks. Part of my challenge when I finally finish wiring is going to be doing it when it's warm enough out - we've been in a cold snap here, and it's in an unheated garage. I'm thinking of picking up a small torpedo heater to pre-warm stuff. (Air intake will be run outside, well away from heater fumes!)

That's my plan - plenty of bank to cover expected needs. Compressor runs will be done with circumstances are right - mainly when they won't anger the neighbors or wife, to refill the banks. Part of my challenge when I finally finish wiring is going to be doing it when it's warm enough out - we've been in a cold snap here, and it's in an unheated garage. I'm thinking of picking up a small torpedo heater to pre-warm stuff. (Air intake will be run outside, well away from heater fumes!)
With it being in an unheated garage, make sure the auto drains dump when you turn it off. Most factory installations do, but many aftermarket addons don't. You should hear it dump when it powers down. You want to make sure all moisture is drained from the system. It will freeze and crack things if not.

This has the factory drains, and I'm pretty certain they drain upon shut-down, but will confirm - thanks for pointing that out!

It sounds like it's cold where you are, but make sure you install the machine with adequate access to cooling air for the compressor fan.

The IK12.14 has a duplex 1st/2nd stage piston assembly that runs hotter than most machines. There's no intercooler between the first two stages.

Cooling is especially important if you plan to run nitrox.

Also good to know! I have a window that I can open directly behind it when needed - it's in my garage and my intent is to run it with the door open unless it's cold - it'll probably have more airflow available than it's had in the past 20 years (sadly). I'm in a 4-season area (mid-atlantic US) so see a pretty good range of temps.

Update: it’s alive! Got final electrical hooked up today - it seems to be perfectly happy on a 50A breaker - I have an honest 120/240v incoming which I’m sure helps a little. No lights dimming or an anything upon startup.

Initially had a few pops from the 2nd stage safety valve - it settled in after a bit, which I’m going to assume was like a valve sticking a little after sitting for a while. The gauge on the 2nd stage coalescer is sitting right around 23 bar - manual says the OPV would release at 24 bar. I need to replace the gauge on the 3rd stage since it’s not showing any pressure. This unit had a pretty recent (10 hours ago) overhaul so I don’t expect valves to be bad yet.

Running about 70 psi oil pressure after warming up.

Currently chugging away filling 10 bank bottles. Auto drains are putting out moisture - probably time to replace the crusty old hose off them though.

Thanks to all for the advice to get me this far! Next stop is a Nitrox stick...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom