Bauer Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scscubadiver1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Need some advice. I have a 1984 3.5 cfm Bauer Utilus (Gas) Compressor I need to unload, Unit runs good.I turned the pop out value up to 5000psi ran perfect. 5 hp gas uses a little oil. Hour meter showing 49 hrs on it but I think its broken.I have a New 3ft fill whip with scuba yoke, oil filled gauge with bleed off knob on it.Needs new filter, I was told I needed to add another filter stack just to be safe, I'm not willing to speed $500 or more for a stack. Any compressor wizards should have no problem bring it to CGA grade air.What I need to know is how much to ask for it. Air check has not been done.Thinking about listing on Ebay. Thanks Charlie

http://www.imagestation.com/5837480/3922363694

It depends what you have into it already, you could try listing it on e-bay with a high reserve (like $1500) and see if you get any takers.

A new Bauer unit with similar capacity is going to run between $4000 and $5000, you can find other brands from $2000 to $4000

I see nothing wrong with the filtration. There is a large interstage separator and a hybrid condensator/filter. Just put a cartridge in and go.

I agree with Pesky. That is a perfectly respectable media stack.

Also, you ought to know, you've got the "good" Utilus - there are two versions, the Utilis 10, which is just another variant the little intermittant duty Junior, and the one you have, which is a heavy duty scaled down version of the Capitano/Mariner.

It's a very nice compressor, because it runs much cooler and quieter than the Junior/Utilus 10, but is still small enough for one person to lug around. Your, being an '84, probably has the heavier block which is good for (almost) 5000 psi and (almost) continuous duty. All in all, one of the nicest small compressor made.

Charlie,
Your Utilus does not have have a breathing air filter chamber; for what's in the picture, you have an interstage separator and then a larger final oil/ water separator (with the blue safety valve on top); in order to get grade "E" air, you need to add a filter chamber (Bauer P-1, P-2 or equivalent) downstream from the final separator. There is no filter cartridge in your current setup. I think you can sell it as-is on Ebay, but make sure to note it is not a breating air unit.
Good luck,
CK
Bauer Compressors

Thanks for all the Advice, I'm getting conflicting advice on how much its going to cost me to have CGA Grade E air.One compressor company told me they would sell me a used stack for $500.Tried to talk to Bauer direct, I guess I caught someone on a bad day, talked to me as I was a little Kid, so I really do not want to deal with them direct again.If anybody out there can get me going for a reasonable amount I may hold on to it.
Thanks,
Charlie

Relax, scubadiver, a final filter can be made by packing media into a hydraulic accumulator, basically a piece of pipe with end caps. These are rated 3000 psi but 3500 would be no problem. You will need dacron filter pads, charcoal and vaporshell 13X (from Compressed Air Specialties). Repacking costs about 5 bucks. Every now and then, Parker Hannifin stainless accumulators come on the market. If you want, and to make up for my misspeaking on the subject, I will sell you one for 30 bucks. Add $20 for adapters to plumb into a 1/4 inch HP line. About 50 tanks between refills. That is a very nice compressor like Hacker said. If you want the deluxe package, I will sell Bauer PO, complete with relief and BP valves, for $250. Used but serviceable, 5000 psi. Bauer cartridge or equivalent.

Pescador, What I would like to do is bank some air if thats possible?I teach private lessons usually 4 students are less, maybe 50 cylinders give or take a month.Is it worth while for me to keep this unit or step up to a bigger cfm unit?. Look for a PM later.

Thanks,
Charlie

The little Bauer is ideal for that purpose provided you have the time to monitor the setup. Like Hacker said, it is a scaled down Capitano, not a repackaged portable. However, expense and hassle factor of a small filter and gas engine might be an issue with 50/month. Since you are going to make a permanent installation I suggest you purchase a 3 hp, 3500 rpm electric motor, 220/single phase. Purchase or fabricate a wall mount filter. This would be a single chamber pipe (EBay special) rated 4000-5000 psi. Suggested dimensions would be 16 inch X 2.5 inch. Packed with media, the filter could service 100 tanks or more before repacking. Packing your own will save mucho bucks. The PO is not suitable for this---too expensive to maintain at Bauer's prices. The cascade should be pressurized to about 4000 psi.

Thanks for all the advice I'm going to try to add a piece at a time. Keep your eyes open, I may need some more advice later down the road.

Again thanks for everybody's time.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom