Bauer Jr 2 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought a used Bauer Jr 2 with a single phase, 3 hp motor. The motor works fine but it isn't delivering air to the fill valves. I took it down section by section and found that it IS delivering air through the first and second stages to the intermediate filter between the second and third stages but the air doesn't come out at the exit tube on top of the third stage. I took the cylinder off and the sleeve and piston seem to be in good shape and well lubricated. I haven't taken off the valve covers yet on the third stage. I'm hoping someone can just say, "OH that...it's easy to fix....".:D
It was shipped from the Virgin Islands and the guy said it was tested and worked. but it showed signs of being rough handled. Could something have broken and is now clogging the system?

That is a mystery. The obvious question is "where is the air going?". You didn't say. Is there a leak or blow off? These problems usually occur when the 3rd stage exhaust valve sticks but then the 2nd stage relief blows and that is obvious. Another common problem is leaking through the drains or tube connections. The valve cover/plug is easy to remove. Why remove the cylinders, etc? Check first things first and don't be so quick to tear things apart. All you had to do was loosen a couple of pipes to see if air was flowing.

pescador775:
That is a mystery. The obvious question is "where is the air going?". You didn't say. Is there a leak or blow off? These problems usually occur when the 3rd stage exhaust valve sticks but then the 2nd stage relief blows and that is obvious. Another common problem is leaking through the drains or tube connections. The valve cover/plug is easy to remove. Why remove the cylinders, etc? Check first things first and don't be so quick to tear things apart. All you had to do was loosen a couple of pipes to see if air was flowing.

I did loosen pipes at each stage to see at which point the air flow was stopped and that's how I determined that the air is getting pumped into the intermediate filter before it goes to the third stage. When I disconnect the intermediate filter, the intake at stage one is sucking and it's blowing out the end of that pipe.
I found a manual online that said one way it could lose air is if the third stage cylinder sleeve and or piston is bad....ie lose and no compression.
I can't find any obvious leaks anywhere, which I guess would have the pulsing "poof poof" sound of air leaking. I've been hesitant to take of the valve covers on the third stage because they just seem really tight but I guess I'll have to get it off. this is what I get for buying used.....

It is impossible for air to go into the interstage separator and just stop. It has to go somewhere. There must be a leak somewhere if the air going into the separator is under substantial pressure. Is that so? At this point, it does not seem to be a valve problem. If the 3rd stage draws vacuum and discharges air it is doubtful the valves are at fault. Find the leak. There will be no "poof" sound. Either there will be a steady hiss or sharp "whoosh". No whoosh confirms no 3rd stage discharge valve problem and it sounds like the intake valve is working. The valves in the second stage are probably working, also. It could be that the spring in the relief valve for the interstage separator is broken or stuck open, or the drain is open. I realize you live in a remote place. If it were not so I would suggest you obtain some gauges and connections to check the interstage pressures.

Edit: You realize that the third stage piston is operated by air pressure, right? It cannot draw a vacuum in the usual sense but is driven down (intake stroke) by air pressure from the interstage separator. As an aside, note that some of the PO filters have an interlock which prevents them from building pressure unless a cartridge is installed.

My vote is for a stuck relief valve. Maybe the unit got tipped in shipment and some oil gummed it up??

when the unit is fully assembled and all pipes are connected, there is no air being sucked into the main intake at stage one. It only happens if I disconnect a line somewhere between there and the intermediate filter. Then I can feel it coming out of the disconnected line and going into the intake.
I now have the third stage apart and the torque stud was loose...very loose. I'll put it back together and see. Nothing seems broken ....yet.
I'll go see what happens....thanks for your help gentlemen.

Since you used the unusual term "torque stud" I presume you have a Bauer manual. That is the object I referred to as a (threaded) plug. Anyway, if you need a download try this:
http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/downloads.php?cat_id=1

Why, if no air is being sucked into the first stage, you have elected to disassemble the third stage is puzzling. It is difficult to discern the condition of the valve capsules by visual inspection. If they appear rusty, replace them anyway. It appears that someone besides you has been working on the unit. Perhaps he installed the first stage intake valve upside down.

I think what he's saying is... If gas only goes in to stage 1 when the intermediate condensor is disconnected, something is stuck in stage 1 or 2.

If there is no vacuum at the first stage inlet the problem is the valve. Roman Coke Belafonte at Caribbean Compressors probably pinched the valve or installed it backwards. Of course, I'm assuming that Hank actually put his hand over the inlet. I remember from six months ago that he said he was buying a "rebuilt" from that outfit, that's how I know about itl.

Unfortunately, he started off by reading that Bauer manual which sent him off with one oar. He inadvertently mislead us by claiming that the first stage was pumping but did not mention that it would only pump against zero head and produced no suction when all pipes were connected. Coming to us was a little late to make a difference. Anyway, I don't think the problem is terribly serious and I wish him luck.

"He inadvertently mislead us by claiming that the first stage was pumping but did not mention that it would only pump against zero head and produced no suction when all pipes were connected."this makes sense. I'll trear into the first stage tonight. Sorry for the confusion. . thanks

Back
Top Bottom