Bauer Jr 2 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Called Bauer in Miami and told him what I've done with the manual in front of me so I could describe it in accurate detail. He says it's the second stage valves. I asked about the first stage and told him I can stop the air coming out of the first stage with my finger and he said that's normal and that the pressure there isn't that great. I order the valves, one of which seemed a little "sticky". $120 for the set and neither on is as big as my little finger tip. The first stage piston is tight and the reed valve seems to be in good shape.
But you're right Pecador, there seems to be no major damage anywhere. oh please, oh please....

I feel like you will come out of this OK. It is a lot of work but look at the good side; you already know more about compressors than most. The second stage valves entered my head the very evening we had our last conversation. I was trying to picture how they could malfunction without a blowoff from the first stage relief valve. Is the "sticky" second stage valve that you observed the intake valve? The first stage has a 6/1 compression ratio at about 90 psi. So, one should feel some force coming out of the head. Subjectively, I guess it does not seem like very much as it flows through a relatively large port. If the second stage intake valve is bad, so I was thinking a couple days ago, perhaps the first stage reed valve is able to "swallow" some back flow resulting in little vacuum at the intake. A poppet valve can't do that unless it is bad. I don't know but it could be educational.

Pecador, yes, it's the intake valve that's sticky. The exhaust seems to go in and out freely. You're right. I feel good about knowing how the thing works now. That's a good thing down here.

I looked at it again and for discussion or educational purposes it seems worthwhile to share some thoughts. The second stage piston of your compressor is driving some air back through the defective intake valve and pressurizing the cooling coil between 1 and 2. The 2nd stage will continue to discharge air but at a reduced amount. This occurs because the first stage becomes impaired. Even properly functioning valves are not perfect, they don't open and close instantaneously. Due to the excess pressure in the cooling coil, there is a small quantity of backflow through the exhaust side of the reed valve as the first stage piston is pulled down by the crank. For this and other reasons the first stage cylinder is not able to inhale as much atmospheric air and not able to discharge all its air against the pressure in the coil. Suction is impaired not only because the first stage cylinder cannot dump all its air into the cooling coil and into the second stage, but because this build up of internal pressure in the first stage prevents the intake side of the reed valve from opening fully. After a few strokes it would be drawing very little air and, mostly, the piston would be pumping recycled air. As mentioned, this happens because the first stage is pumping against a pressure head in the cooling coil and because pressure inside the first stage is preventing the 1st stage intake valve from opening.
Pesky

Hank...it has to be the valves with the conditions you described. When we were diving last month near Batbatan I ran into a similiar issue. The challenge is the we are at the end of the supply line and it takes forever to get parts here or there I am sure. We got it working and it is good to go now. Also, make sure you do not overtighten any of the relief valves when you bleed off the system.....they stick and break off easily. I have replaced two I have ruined (@$210 each). Be cool....miss you in the Visayas!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom