Bauer Purus Problems, valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isaac-1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am having a minor problem filling tanks with my 3.4 cfm Bauer Purus (3 stage compressor), I am wondering if the problem might be a valve sticking. The only pressure gauge I have is the final fill whip. (I have a second one I plan to add before the filter stack). Upon reaching aprox 2400 psi the fill rate drasticly slows and the gauge pressure will stick or even drop slightly (50 psi) for up to a minute or so. The intake continues sucking air the whole time, so I am wondering if 3rd stage may not be pumping and pressure may be building in the 2nd stage I don't think the problem is a sticking gauge since it does not jump when it starts going up again. Being a small portable compressor I have no intermediate pressure gauges. This will happen 2-3 times filling a typical 3000 psi tank. Does anyone have any thoughts on the potential cause?

Thanks Ike

Thanks Ike

The gauge is the problem, IMO, given the description of the problem. However, I should point out that you did not mention whether the correct fill rate resumes after a period of apparent slowing, only that the intake "continues sucking air".

It's a lot easier to change the gauge and see if the problem goes away than to tear into the compressor searching for a problem that might or might not exist. The first law of troublshooting is to check the easiest and most obvious things first.

Thanks for the replies, I have a couple of tanks I need to refill after using them yesterday, I will try to time out the fill rates and get more details on what is happening.

Ike

p.s. no tank filling tonight we have thunder storms going on

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom