BC Cave Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akforsyth once bubbled...
Collin, been to Fang yet? Flooded after you get in to a certain point, MOE placed die into the water in there many years back and found it in the Fraser within hours suggesting that the karst topography of the Fang region possibly has an underground connection to a spot on the Fraser. BTW, my Bsc is in Geomorph, Kevin Hall is my supervisor... Small world man!
Akforsyth,

Have you read Steve Worthington (McMaster) thesis?

No I have not. I have heard of it, but the only thesis I am interested in right now is my own as I hope to finish it right soon. I was told by a friend that I might be interested in it, but he too had not read it. Do you have the title of it? Thanks.

Just thought of another thing too...Talk to Todd Whitcomb at UNBC, he used to be a hardcore caver, but is no longer (as you will see why when you talk with him). He would know of any caves throughout BC more than likely. Pretty cool guy too for a chem prof...

Having spent the better part of 2 years exploring and mapping Fang, I think it's safe to say that the only connection to the Fraser River is from the stream the flows down the mountain from the lower resergence!

While this system does flood at certain times of the year, there is little in the way of diving prospects since most of the passage that is water filled in the summer is easily travelled in the winter! Assuming that you dig your way in!

Great. Some first hand knowledge. Thanks for the info, I was going on the research by MOE from the early 90's. According to the report, it was believed that there was a connection below the water table, but I guess not. Are you another local like Amphibious and myself? Any info you have on the local Karst would be great, just for personal knowledge.

Local is a relative term, given that everywhere is local once you get there! I lived in Jasper for 9 years, so I guess that made me local to your neck of the woods about 15 years ago. Calgary is my base of operations these days.

You might want to check out the Canadian Caver website for background information on the Canadain caving scene.

http://www.cancaver.ca/

There are several organized caving clubs in BC including the Northern British Columbia Caving Club.

If you're both local to the Prince George area and want to get in touch with local caving scene, check out the link in my last post. If you can't get touch with any of the locals after trying that, let either myself or Pez know and we can pass you some names offline!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom