BC for advancing diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan once bubbled...

And you have two rigs with identical harnesses and identical inflator mechanisms, right?

It's the same.. metaphysically. You might have two rigs, but if the only difference is maybe plate material, the wing, and perhaps an STA, you're golden. Makes things so much easier, I imagine.

It does.

One has an AL plate, and the other is SS.

The AL is for my doubles rig, with a 55 lb Halcyon wing and no STA.

The SS is for my singles rig with a 36 lb Halcyon wing and STA. I have 2 small trim pockets on the tank bands.

The inflators are in the same position for each rig, as is the knife, d-rings, and everything else. No re-learning. Muscle memory. I know where everything is at all times. And my dive buddies are all rigged the same way.

I was having the same choice a few months ago. Did I want to buy a jacket style that was big and bulky or did I want a Bp/Wings set. I chose the Bp/Wings. The set I got was the Halcyon Pioneer 27, it works great and I never regret my choice. Two other great companys for Bp/Wings are:
www.omsdive.com/
www.diverite.com/
And also another company that my LDs thinks highly of is:
www.deepoutdoors.com/
Have fun shopping.
Tekkie

saturated once bubbled...
I would like opinions on the best suited bc for a young diver that aspires to grow into a tech diver. It's for my son's b-day and cant quite decide. Thinking about dive-rite rig. I just want something somewhat modular so that it is not a throw away as he advances in training and skills.

Ask you son what he wants, plus give him some advice. He may have some ideas on the subject.

Many of the members of this board use backplates and are pleased with them. I use a Diverite Transpac 2 and I am pleased with it. While I use my TP2 for recreational diving, quite a few of them are used for technical diving. With the exception of the travel wing (which is what I have) any of the Diverite wings can be moved over to a backplate, should things go in that direction.

Likewise, the TP2 harness, could be used with a variety of wings. I don't know what size your son is. He may be too small for a standard BP. On the TP2 you can change the shoulder straps, but replacements cost $50. That works assuming he is big enough for the standard size TP2 harness.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

I would get him a BP/Wing combo from Halcyon. Great rig.

I would reccomend TPII or bp/w

I would err towards the TPII if he will be doing a lot of recreational diving - my opinion

Though if he is still growing and fits between TPII/BCD sizes then there is a clear advantage to the BP/W

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom