BC Knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knives are tools! Preying tools for one, so big ones not only look macho but have leverage
underwater! One of the worst knives to me is Titanium because they are too light and don't chop worth a crap! So I have different sizes and types for different jobs! And now I have Reed's Rod that takes the place of a couple of the tools! Reed's Rod

792_IMG_8234_Reeds_rod_web_photo.jpg

Tools yes if you are working underwater. I can see where a larger tool/knife can be used. However in the recreational world You do not need the BIG knife.

And what would a recreational diver start to take apart underwater? Poke at the reefs, open the clams to win a prize? maybe find the black pearl. Pretend they are Navy Seals and do a swim atttack using combat boards and spook a manatee?...

macho yeah probably... Sea hunt..humm

Scarface, you took the sea hunt phrase right out of my mouth. I just got back from a Cozumel trip and saw a diver with less that 12 divers strap on a pig sticker and tried to drag down a big video camera with two lights. Cozumel dive ops once upon a time wouldn't let you dive with a knife. It's a protected marine park, no fishing, and all dives are guided. but I guess so many new divers insisted their knife is part of their gear, they just gave up and turn their heads.

I did just about the same thing as you as far a dive knife. I guess you and I would be the first ones killed if we ever ran into a battle with Goldfinger and his diver army.

It really does depend on what you're doing. My little serrated blunt tip is always with me because it's handy and has a great cutting edge. At my local diving spot, I've seen everything from light fishing line to 1/2" thick anchor rope. I've never had to cut my way out of any of this stuff, or anybody else for that matter, but it's nice to know that my lil' friend is right next to my heart.
The fogcutter is used if I'm clearing underwater brush. Our local lake system fluctuates 50 to 60 feet in depth (maybe more) during the course of the year and the stuff takes over when the lake is low. Or if we're doing a clean-up dive where we're collecting junk and debris from around docks and stuff. BTW, none of the brush and burrs are anything protected or anything like that.

How does one reach one's leg/calf knife if one's arms are entangled?

Sometimes a larger knife has its advantages cutting really thick rope or for prying.
Too bad it's longer reach can't be put to advantage cutting those behind the head, valve wrap entanglements without cutting those pesky hoses too, when they get in the way.

Check out this knife.
The bearclaw by columbia river knife and tool.
The 2510.
Bear Claw

Its the whitewater riverrunners knife of choice, I got rid of all my so called dive knifes in favor of this one.

"Prized by ... independent women" You've got to be kidding me :)

Small knife attached to wing inflator hose with cable ties. Shears on waist harness webbing.

No knife. 200 wimpy recreational dives and haven't ever been underwater and wished I had one. Maybe if I was diving in areas with fishing or something I might consider it. Its just something else that can get lost.

Then again, I am a minimalist of sorts.

You don't ever need one until you do! So you should consider some type of cutting device, its a safety issue! I haven't pulled mine in over 500 dives except to was it off, but if you need it you need it!

its a safety issue!

Is that what the salesman told you? And did he get you to buy a can of Spare Air with the knife you haven't needed in over 500 dives?

My guess is people who actually need underwater cutting tools for recreational dives are probably told so for liability sake. Thus far I have never had a dive op, divemaster, or even my LDS tell me I needed a cutting tool for wimpy recreational dives that they booked or performed for me. It has also never been on a "what to bring" list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom