BC Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to answer, but TropicalDiver said it best. However, I will still put in my 2 cents. D-rings are important for all the gear you carry, including a catch bag (unless you use a stringer), lights, safety sausage, whistle, wreck line, console, etc...

I make sure that whatever is hanging from my D-rings are set up so that they don't dangle too much. They stay relatively close to the body and I have never had an entanglement problem. And I've NEVER caught a 100 pound fish.

Thanks. When spearfishing I attach a stringer or catchbag and/or light to a belt which can be jettisoned. I've never had to make an unplanned ascent when hunting, yet. Because my few accessories are attached low and away from the gun, loading is faster and safer. Ten years ago, a man from VA Beach was treated for bends. He became entangled with an Amberjack which dragged him into deep water. (Virginia Pilot) It could have been worse. I remain skeptical of any hunter attaching objects to his person.
Still, as you say, it depends on the situation. Some bubble diver hunters may find the rings useful provided that only the two lower rings are used. My experience comes from free diving where attaching stuff to the body could be suicidal. Kelp and the like will hang up on anything. For years, I turned my fin straps inside out to avoid catching on kelp. It was a big advance when free diving fins became available. Avoiding entanglement with a big fish is crucial. This means extreme caution when handling the shooting line. Some 'dead' fish, like cobia, can retain a nasty surprise. Again, having a self contained breathing apparatus can be a big safety factor. However, the extra hoses and hanging gear can be a problem, particularly to an inexperience hunter. Well, an inexperienced hunter is less likely to tangle with a big grouper or even bigger jewfish or shark.

Pesky

TropicalDiver:
Most fish that are shot on scuba are less than 100 lbs....no floats are used. The D-rings attach everything from lights (for looking under ledges), to stringers (to keep fish), to safety sausages (when surfacing), to dive-flag lines....I've gotten my stringer caught up on rocks on occasion - but am still working on figuring out exactly where it suits my hunting best....

Back
Top Bottom