BC with quick release weight system question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Archer_Pensacola:
.. Some manufacturers, like Zeagle, offer "yellow thingies" which is a pouch designed to go inside the ditchable pocket of the BC and allow you to load weights into it. that way you aren't fumbling with small bean bags or chunks of lead. It also makes it easier to hand your weights up when getting onto a boat.

I dive with a Ranger, and I have the 'yellow thingies,' and felt I needed to clarify something here...

While I like the thingies, they don't work well for loading the weight while wearing the BC.

I like the fact that they hold small beanbags securly (I was afraid that small bags might fall through the ripcord system without the thingies), and they do allow you to hand up the weight seperatly when boarding, but I find it impractical to load the weight while wearing the BC. Especially when I was diving w/ 26# of lead (heavy wetsuit in salt water).

Welcome to diving Hawk-Eye, consider yourself warned, it is addicting!

With my SP Knighthawk, I put 3 lb. in each ditchable pocket and some trim weight before I don the BC. I put 2 lb. on each ankle and put the rest on my weight belt. I like distributing the load a bit. I wear a total of about 20 or 21 lb. with a drysuit, aluminum 80 and a pony. I'm 5'7", 160 lb. I agree that 36lb. soundls like a lot, I'm glad I don't carry that much.
Experiment a bit, you will come up with a system that works for you.

I have a SeaQuest Pro QD. Quick-release ditchable packs get slid in after I strap on the BC & cylinder. This BC's design is good for that. Very reachable with a grab ring at the mouth of the pouch pockets. Same situation with my Genesis Tropic. Easy access. Cold water dives with the 7MM Farmer John I load the non-ditchable trim pockets after I rig the tank and reg.

It's a mater of distribution and trim. With my E7-80 steel tanks I use 3+3 in the non ditchable trim pockets. That's as much non ditchable as I want or need.

The I usually have 3+3 in my BC's ditchable pullouts and the last 14 on a conventional belt. For fresh water I leave the pullouts empty reducing my weight by 6LB This is all with my full 7mm gear. I work down from there when combining down through 5mm, 3mm trunks and going between fresh and salt water. When I get down to 16 pouinds total I omit the belt and run 5+5 in the pullouts. If you diving does vary like mine be sure to keep careful notes of your configurations and do your weight checks.

To be more direct to your question the weights I mention are usually loaded when I leave home. In my Sherwood Avid I can get the pullouts in and engaged while wearing the BC provided it is not inflated. Anything heavier and it starts to be a beast.

When it's time to clean your gear remove all of the weights it's much easier on you and the BC.

Pete

Unless it's a big pain, I suggest putting them in after you've donned your BC. It'll make it that much easier, especially with that much weight. I also agree with some of the other posts that you should seriously look at reducing the amount of weight you're carrying. Being overweighted adversely affects your trim in the water, which in turn affects your air-consumption negatively. I'm 6'1", 250 lbs, and carry 24 lbs while wearing a 3/2 full suit and using an aluminum 80.

Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom