BCD Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like having pockets on my back inflate BCD for storing things I don't expect to need during a dive. I keep a signaling mirror in my left pocket just in case for surface emergencies. I clip my car keys in my right pocket to a zip tie then zipper the pocket closed. That would really suck to lose my car key during a dive.

For all other gear like flashlights and compass they are on D-rings on the BC.

I WOULD like to get a thigh pocket to glue on whenever I get around to ordering a new wetsuit for my backup mask. I don't like that thing dangling behind me.

I wouldn't get pockets glued on. I've seen a lot come unglued over time and it looks like they create some binding on the leg. You can get a custom wetsuit shop to sew on a set of pockets. They usually use the leg of your wetsuit as the backside of the pocket.

I like having pockets on my back inflate BCD for storing things I don't expect to need during a dive. I keep a signaling mirror in my left pocket just in case for surface emergencies. I clip my car keys in my right pocket to a zip tie then zipper the pocket closed. That would really suck to lose my car key during a dive.

For all other gear like flashlights and compass they are on D-rings on the BC.

This about says it all. Most BC pockets are for things you hope you do not need during a dive. There are some BC's that have drop down roll up pockets and these at first sounded impractical to me. But compared to the pockets on jacket BC's, especially weight integrated ones, they are the next best thing to some type of thigh pocket.

To be fair on weight integrated jackets many users have not be taught about proper weight distribution so they end up stuffing the pockets with eight to ten pounds each. Besides being impractical, this is also a dangerous practice. Clipping things off to a D ring and using some type of elastic retainer to keep them nice and tight is far better than shoving them in a pocket. For those of us with mobility issues - thick suits, drysuits, age related issues, or shoulder injuries - pockets as are found on most BC's are akin to torture to use. Plain and simple no matter what the mfg says they suck big time.

That they require you to put your hand almost into your armpit to use makes no difference to the designers. Non weight intergrated are not so bad but try to use them on the surface without a crotch strap to hold the BC down. Not worth the effort. Easier to unzip, turn head down, and catch stuff as it falls out. They are about that useful.

---------- Post added September 6th, 2013 at 02:52 PM ----------

I wouldn't get pockets glued on. I've seen a lot come unglued over time and it looks like they create some binding on the leg. You can get a custom wetsuit shop to sew on a set of pockets. They usually use the leg of your wetsuit as the backside of the pocket.

Those were done by someone who does not know what they are doing. I have glued pockets on 3 of my suits and on my GF's. I only wish that they were coming unglued from one so I could reuse it with out cutting the suit up. Done properly there is no binding of the leg.

Good...so it's not just me. No more critical stuff in my BCD pockets. I have a weight integrated which would make the pockets even more useless but have (for the most part) given up on using the weight integrated components, But that's for a different topic.

I think that this thread should serve as a warning though, not to put critical equipment in BCD pockets. An what is critical can change depending on the dive. Where I dive mostly, a spare mask and flashlight would be critical, but not in the Carribean.

Thanks all.

Along with velcro top facing pockets, my jacket style bcd has open pockets rear facing pockets that I use to stuff trash I pick up off the reefs where I dive. It is pretty hard to get my hands into the top facing pockets but as I ditched the weight pouches and carry most of my weight on a belt, I do put one soft 2lb in each one.

Hey TM,

still getting persecuted for collecting the odd shell?
when collecting specimens for the marine research group I put the odd shell in my BCD pockets. :D

Simon

pocket slate for setting white balance to shoot video, thats it.....man oh man u guys carry a lot of stuff with you. back up mask on a dive..meh kinda know if mines works in a few seconds of being in the water.

Yeah I'm thinking those strap on ones.

I have a pair of those. They are awful, always moving around, especially as your wetsuit compresses. Mine had these loops you could put on your harness belt, i'm certain that without those they would have slipped off. Then you forget to unclip those loops when you take your harness off.

Scuba shorts with attached pockets are infinitely superior to strap on thigh pockets. I used those for a few years before finally getting a custom wetsuit made with attached thigh pockets.

I wear a pocket belt--it's sort of like a six-shooter holster, but with big pockets rather than sleeves for pistols. It closes around the waist and above each knee with velcro. I like that I can wear it with any wetsuit (or drysuit) and that it doesn't add a bunch of fabric at the crotch. Plus the pocket shorts are all made for men's straight hips, so they don't fit my curvy bottom well anyway.

Marcia, can you post a link to your pocket belt?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom