Beach Dive this Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aabond:
If diving pompano (which i haven't done yet) I've heard that 12 st just south of atlantic is a good entrace point, and has 4 metered parking spaces right by the entrace to the beach, and a bunch more on the side of the street. On friday are we doing both an afternoon dive and night dive or just one of the two? Reason being I only have one tank and have to get it refilled and as such, have to plan accordingly.

Sent you a pm, earlier today, but just in case. How about 2:30 at the parking lot 1 block north of the Commercial Blvd Pier tomorrow (Friday). That is easy to find and has plenty parking. We can go to Pompano when some of the regulars can join on Sat and Sun. I can't find my dive light so unless you have an extra I will have to stick to daylight until I can get a replacement.

Met at parking lot north of Commercial Blvd at 2:30 and entered water about 3:00. Only two divers, myself and Andrew swam out to the first reef and descended and headed out to the second reef then turned North. Saw lots of fish including triggerfish, grouper, doctors, and the usual collection of "aquarium decorators". :fish:

Found a couple bugs at one location and a nice large one at another location. One area on the second reef looked like a big aquarium display and we both would have liked to stay longer, but there is the possibility of even nicer things just beyond visibility so we continued on. About an hour into the dive we heard a boat approach, and had some of "Florida's finest" come up and yank on our dive flag to check our "take". They seemed dissapointed that we were only looking and had nothing for them to inspect and went their way after criticizing our "well experienced" dive flag. :peace:

One of the neatest things was a large turtle that came swimming by. He really didn't seem to like me "flying formation" with him and quickly took off demonstrating his supperior swimming ability to these unworthy infilterators in his domain. We spent nearly two hours underwater before returning to beach. There was no significant current when we entered the water, but a substantial one sweeping us south upon returning to the beach. Good thing we headed north initiallly. :turtle:

Looking forward to repeat dives from Pompano, or LBTS on Sat and Sun. :goldfish:

Chuck and I were thinking about trying out Pompano tomorrow. I'm not sure of the time yet, probably early because of parking.

The dive today north of commercial pier was very good with vis in the mid to high 20's. There was this one patch of reef which was completely alive. The coral reef was vibrant and there was fish galore. We even saw a medium sized green turtle ( at least i think that was the type). We had about an hour and 40 minutes bottom time, with little current and lots of surge.

The florida wildlife whatever it's called decided to drive right on top of us with their twin props. I thought the dive flags meant to keep away 300-500 ft.

I've seen them pull up on top of a dive flag, and then jerk it forcefully to get the divers attention. Then inspect the fishing licence and go on their merry way...

8:00 Am ? Pompano 12th Street? Saturday

Steve

badmojo:
I've seen them pull up on top of a dive flag, and then jerk it forcefully to get the divers attention. Then inspect the fishing licence and go on their merry way...

sbijou:
It's a deeeeeelll !

Steve
Weather sucky. Rain, cloudy, and whitecaps as far as you can see. Try again tomorrow with new thread.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom