Beach Wreck Diving - Hatteras Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove the triangle wrecks this summer and the oriental. Had terrible viz the three times we went out (less than 3'). I hope that sometime I can get 30 ft shore diving! The last time I went out, we had 0ft viz - kind of a bummer when you can't see your hand in front of your face until you touch your lenses!

Had a good time anyways burning up air! Hopefully people will post next spring as to the conditions...hopefully I can get lucky and get some viz to see the wrecks & some fish.

By the way, outside of the triangles & the oriental, anyone do any dives our of Hatteras this year? Curious what there is to see.

Mushing Madness

the Oriental always has cruddy viz since it is so close to the inlet, plus, it's a heck of a swim out.

I only know shore dives on the northern end. There's the Winks wreck in Kitty Hawk, Kzyckes and Carl Gerhard in KDH, Huron in Nags Head, and the Oriental.

Oh, and I forgot the Explorer tug just south of the Huron.

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the responses. I speak with Bill McDermott on a regular basis. Back in the 1980s we went through the NAUI ITC together and I was his roommate for a couple of years (I could tell you some GOOD stories about him). He's a GREAT guy and I'll be doing some diving with him next year.

Anyway, from what I've heard, beach wreck diving off Hatteras isn't as popular as it used to be. We used to dive LST 471 all the time, it was an awesome wreck located about 100 yards offshore and 300 yards north of the Hatteras Island Fishing Pier. It was somewhat intact with nice open swim throughs and lots of fish. I've seen 100+ of viz, a "good" day was 50 FT, an "average" day about 30 FT. I don't know how good the viz is now with all the recent development, but with the Gulf Stream just off shore I'm thinking it's got to be OK at least occasionally. I found that diving wrecks off the beach taught me a lot, was cheap and a GOOD time.

If anyone is up to it in the spring, PM me or post here and I'll see what I can organize. There's a TON of stuff just off the beach, all you need to do is find parking...

THANKS...

I know this is a few years late, but i want to try and take a kayak out there. is it even visible from a kayak?

Back
Top Bottom