Beautiful Poseidon BeSea - anyone have this BC???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought I reconized that BC, it's hard to miss with all the flashy colors and huge bladder. Had to bring a OOA newbie up off the Speigal Grove the other weekend in one.

If prettiness is one reason behind desiring the Poseidon BeSea, a word of caution. Buddy had BeSea W50 last season. Actually three of them before finally giving up. Handsome looks were the first ones lost because after a couple of dives lettering and logos started coming off, and BC started looking like an old rag with glue stains. All her diving was done in fresh water and gear rinsed (gently without detergents) and dried out of sun after every dive but this went on and on with every replacement too (from different batches). I have since heard a good amount of BeSeas have been returned/swapped for same reason but many have been saved the problem too. Might be model specific too, and might have been corrected by now. It was no issue returning it, Poseidon took the BC back knowing the problem.

Even though prettiness was not the main reason to give up on this fine-functioning BC, she decided to let go because all the hassle (and she took a liking to my BP/W…). The BC handled fine in water and especially above, and what comes to the extra buoyancy, I can comment on my experience. At that time I dove TransPac and Oxycheck 45lbs SS wing. I needed to add 2lbs of extra when diving the BeSea with otherwise same setup. I had reserved way more but it was not that bad.

piikki:
If prettiness is one reason behind desiring the Poseidon BeSea, a word of caution. Buddy had BeSea W50 last season. Actually three of them before finally giving up. Handsome looks were the first ones lost because after a couple of dives lettering and logos started coming off, and BC started looking like an old rag with glue stains. All her diving was done in fresh water and gear rinsed (gently without detergents) and dried out of sun after every dive but this went on and on with every replacement too (from different batches). I have since heard a good amount of BeSeas have been returned/swapped for same reason but many have been saved the problem too. Might be model specific too, and might have been corrected by now. It was no issue returning it, Poseidon took the BC back knowing the problem.

Even though prettiness was not the main reason to give up on this fine-functioning BC, she decided to let go because all the hassle (and she took a liking to my BP/W…). The BC handled fine in water and especially above, and what comes to the extra buoyancy, I can comment on my experience. At that time I dove TransPac and Oxycheck 45lbs SS wing. I needed to add 2lbs of extra when diving the BeSea with otherwise same setup. I had reserved way more but it was not that bad.

Wow, what a sad, sad story.

MrConclusion:
I can buy the "upwards force" thing, but I'm opting for the simpler answer and guessing that it stands for "Buoyancy in 'F'resh Water"

I wondered about that too. So far not too many people are trying to answer that question.

lb-f does indeed mean pounds-force. It is a common abbreviation in engineering to denote force vs. mass. However, many would say that this is nitpicking.

The bouyant force acting on the BC when it is deflated is 5.3 lb-f. It's really no more complicated than that.

WarmWaterDiver:
I agree with MarcG as well.

There is a review of this BC on the UK diving magazine site, but it doesn't mention suceptibility to wear & tear like posts in this thread have.

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0106divertests.shtml

I read the review. At first I thought the reviewer didn't like it at all. Then I read a few more of his BC reviews and discovered he doesn't seem like much of anything. Of those I read (5) he lavished the most praise, and that's a stretch, on the Zeagle Tech Pac BC.

The Plus / minus summaries at the end of the equipment reviews in this magazine are where I find the quick info for strengths and weaknesses. And, this reviewer does like the BP/W style stuff for BC - if you go back a ways in his reviews, so this may color his judgement more than how the rig fit his Swedish dive guide!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom