Beaver Lake Conditions so far 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been going out since the start of the year with a buddy and solo trying to find the "Lost Ruthie Mae Wreck" and weather conditions have not been the best if you can believe it or not!
After a search of our target area we hit the wreck with help from one of the Benton County Dive member's ..Thanks Rick without his help we would still be hunting! Our search area was off camp site's number 9 & 10 facing Lost Bridge Marina. the wreck as it where is a now flat barge with all of it's sides off in the silt. Viz with all of the wind was only 6-10 ft at best, water temp was 43 degrees with an outside air for the day at 17 degrees!

G0070007.jpgG0130025.jpg So after an exploration of the site our 7mm suit's could take no more and we punched out after 30 min!

My return to the Ruthie Mae would be a few weeks later and conditions would not be any better but I did get some better photo's.
GOPR0098.jpgGOPR0102.jpgGOPR0100.jpgGOPR0112.jpgGOPR0113.jpg This site sits at only 28ft now but the lake is about 10 or 12ft low so during normal pool this wreck is a little deeper and its a good swim off shore so during the summer months be careful due to boat traffic. This was a bad ass dive not really the dive itself but the snow that was on the ground!

Today I went out just to play with my drysuit that I got back from repair and see what the lake was like. I started out the bluff's at the Dam to see what viz would be like. First off we have a big winter storm coming in so we have a high wind and very overcast day. Vis below was 6ft at best even down to 50ft, the water had a current that you could feel due to the wind top side. water tem was 43 degrees, outside air was at a high of 44 degrees. this was an ok dive I was hoping for better.
I moved on to my second dive site for the day, the East bank across from the Dam site bluffs. The wind was causing such a rush in wave action it was hard to put on my fins and it made me get underwater as fast as I could get! GOPR0033.jpgGOPR0034.jpgGOPR0035.jpg This go around I wanted a few photo's of the wreck's to add to my collection. viz was the same and the surge from the wind was worse! You can't see it but the blue pinwheel in this photo was turning good at 20ft down! GOPR0009.jpg This cove normally has poor viz anyway so it's no shock that it was 6ft.
I moved up and out to the wreck's and tranning platform at 16ft and I would move up and down with surge it makes it hard to take any good photo's this way lol! GOPR0008.jpgGOPR0011.jpgGOPR0012.jpgGOPR0013.jpgGOPR0017.jpgThese last two you can see the algae moving away from the boat and platform.
also zip tied to the platform is a now reminder of a past dive shop and the time they must have taken into bringing this site to life.
GOPR0016.jpgGOPR0029.jpgGOPR0021.jpgGOPR0022.jpgSo over all not a bad day downunder but I'm still looking forward to summer and better weather so till then stay warm and happy diving!

Went to the foundations with the Oklahoma Aquanuats today. Its the first time I dove there and saw the muffler people at the bus stop. Visibility was a nice change from Tenkiller 16-20 feet. Water at depth was 38° the wetsuit divers stayed down for 50 mins. What a fantastic lake and very very clean I saw no trash.

Sweet sounds like you had way better viz than I had!
Dan I know we are a little out of the way but maby soon we should plan a dive and do a Meet and greet, ChickenFried and I are apart of the GODS club.

That sounds good to me I know a few of us in the NE Oklahoma area that'd be up to dive with some new buddies. You may have met one or two before.

I don't want to advertise for any one shop however Genes Aqua Pro is planning a treasure hunt on the 21st of this month at Tenkiller. If your looking for a reason to get wet. Lol.. we'll be at Beaver the following week most likely and then once or twice a month durning the spring and summer. I like the accroyom btw... I'll post something when I can nail a few of us down to a date.

I'll see if I or the guys can make it to TK we are planning a trip but don't have a date set yet. I'm a lot closer to the lake than they are I can be there in a hour by back road.

I have not met the new owner of Genes yet seems like he is putting a lot into his shop.
Did Gene himself finally retire he was old as the hills when I met him haha!

Sorry for the delayed response. So far there is going to be quite a few divers from the club going. So there will be plenty of divers to buddy with if you need to.
John and Julie are outstanding people. They bent over backwards to get me and my brother in the water when the shop was closed. I never met Gene or went to the shop before they remodeled it, so I can't say for sure but it's a nice place and they are always willing to help.

Thanks for the report. Im looking forward to summer! I'm staring at Greers Ferry Lake as I type this and it looks like chocolate milk.

Lol is Greers that bad or is it due to all the rain?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom