Becareful on that ice NewEnglanders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Paul

That feels real nice to have it explained that way. Im at a loss of any more words but the expression of greatful ness for the nice words from everyone here.

Chris P.

Outstanding job, SS! They say in stressful, life or death situations, human behavior follows the classic bell curve...10-15% lead the way, 10-15% freeze-up or panic and the remainder look to follow someone else. You took the lead when others failed to act and that puts you in the rarified air of the 10-15%...consider yourself a special person. Don't even think about how the dogs followed you out there and somehow you might have triggered the scenario. The owner followed her dogs. People should NEVER follow their dog onto the ice or into the chilly water. Last winter or maybe two winters past, a man's dog got caught in a partly frozen pond(might have been Rehoboth) and went in after his dog. Owner died, but the dog survived. The dog owner was very lucky you were there to save her life and she didn't suffer a similar fate.

LobstaMan

Hey thanks Lobsteraman I ve been thinking real hard and realize now that keeping the dogs on a leash was the key to avoiding this mis-hap. Finally got a good nights sleep lastnight.

Thanks there for the though and assurance. Really nice.

ScubaSarus:
I just had the dubious privilege of pulling someone from the ice today. I was hiking at Giuffrida Park in Meriden, CT and walking along the reservoir since the ice was about 2-3 inches on the edges (it also enabled me to avoid all the dog poo left by the dog walkers). A young girl with her 2 tiny dogs came by the trail and she took them off the leash and sure enough they went out on the ice to the middle of the reservoir were there was no ice and the both dogs fell in. The girl freaked out and ran out to get her dogs as I was heading to them also. Well in a flash she went over the edge and into the water and was able to pushe her 2 dogs out but couldn’t get out herself. She went under briefly but was able to clamber about at the edge while screaming for help. I was able to get down on my stomach near the icy edge and give her a hard pull out. Luckily the ice was strong enough and didn’t give way. The thought of witnessing a persons death was one I’ve couldn’t bear and had to do something. Lots of thoughts go thru ones mind. What if I hadn’t gone for a hike? Did the dogs see me on the ice and go out only because they saw me on the ice? Etc. Well, we got her and her dogs to a warm car and we all left before any emergency help could arrive as people did call 911 but told them no ambulance was needed as she appeared cold but OK.

Becarefull out there. The ice is thick enough to walk on but there are very dangerous spots also.

I wish there was some easy way I could use this experience to help others avoid the same fate.

What a day.

Good Job Chris. I havent been on this site for a long time. It seems that you have been out saving lives, way to go. Have you been diving, i bought a new boat this fall and have been going out just about every weekend. I dove the volund on sunday 30' vis a very nice dive. Any way thats a realy cool thing you did.

Hey Bill

Actually Ive been sitting by the phone waiting for that call only going outside for an occasional hike. Buy all my food off ebay.........

Actually Ive mainly only been diving with Scott Tucker in the filming of his documentaries that are getting quite popular in the Southern Towns. Other than that, mainly the Portland quarry also. Nice relics to be found there.

Glad to see you doing well and still active in the advanced diving.

Nice hearing from ya Bill

Take care

Chris P.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom