Beginner Dive spot- w/i 3hrs of Orlando

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I have some good choices but to hedge bets against weather, Key Largo might be the way to go. How bad would the traffic be on the Saturday (going down) and Sunday (coming up) after Christmas? Actually, coming north isn't such a huge deal because we wouldn't have a deadline but still, is it a parking lot getting out of the keys?

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I have some good choices but to hedge bets against weather, Key Largo might be the way to go. How bad would the traffic be on the Saturday (going down) and Sunday (coming up) after Christmas? Actually, coming north isn't such a huge deal because we wouldn't have a deadline but still, is it a parking lot getting out of the keys?

I have seen some congestion further south, and I have never been there on a holiday, but I have in a dozen or so trips to the Keys never had any trouble getting to and from Key Largo. From milepost 100 which is the marina it is a short 4 miles or so drive, with 4 lanes to the road that leaves the Keys. This has also been improved. When you hit the mainland there is a short strectch of shops and fast food places but you again have at least 4 lanes. Then you are at the florida turnpike heading north. Sometimes busy but never seen a parking lot.

Pompano is probably the best easy salt water diving fairly close to Orlando.

Key Largo is certainly an option because if the WX is knarly, you can still have fun enjoying the upper Keyes lifestyle. But, keep in mind that there are no shore dives in Key Largo.

Expect travel from Orlando to be about 4.5 or more hours depending upon Orlando traffic, fuel, food, rest, speed, en-route traffic/accidents and time of day/weather (WX).

As far as holiday's; the traffic in the upper Keyes (Key Largo) can be VERY, very, slow around (before and at the end of) three day weekends. But to be more specific to your question; on driving in/out Saturday and Sunday: EXPECT a parking lot during the holidays and at minimum, much heavier traffic on the weekend than during the week.

In response to your question on how often the boats go out down here ....I use my own boat so I cant say for sure (suggest you make some phone calls to the dive boat Op's) but I see dive boats going out here in Pompano - Ft Lauderdale 7 days per week in a lot of interesting WX conditions.

Bvarn1 gives good advice about Pompano, but again provided WX is good.

And here's a link for you on a shore dive down here: Florida's Best Shore Dive - Go Dive Florida

Hope this helps.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom