Beginning cavern and cave!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot easier to reach the valves side mount and you have complete redundancy regardless of "buddy".

Thanks for the info Scuba Girl. Pm sent.

Except that certain failure modes = absolute loss of half your gas.

Shhhh.. I had one guy recently tell me he can swap regs from one tank to another while holding his breath. I nearly choked.

He probably practiced on the platform at the pool and/or quarry to master that 'skill', amirite?

Swapping the reg to the other tank is a required skill with some instructors.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Agreed, swapping regs sounds an awful lot like going from losing half your gas to no gas at all.

I recently did cavern and intro with Edd Sorenson at Cave Adventures. Edd was fantastic, I love his learning style. He'll let you make mistakes and figure things out in time. Edd is well known for side mount. I did the course in back mounted doubles. I've done 15 dives now, 13 in double 108s, two in side mount 85s. Needless to say I'm going back to Edd's in two weeks for the side mount class. I'll finish apprentice and full cave in side mount. I've dived doubles for three years, after two dives in side mount I'm ready to switch.

My two cents:
- Cave is a really bad time to introduce new gear
- You should coordinate any gear purchases through your instructor, it's a great way to avoid buying the wrong kit
- Cave is a bad first tech course, the environment is unforgiving, to say the least. If you're new to tech consider a fundamentals/essentials course
- Dive side mount before buying new back mounted new gear, you may end up preferring side mount - like many of the cave divers I've met
- Arrive in decent shape

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My two cents:
- Cave is a really bad time to introduce new gear
- You should coordinate any gear purchases through your instructor, it's a great way to avoid buying the wrong kit
- Cave is a bad first tech course, the environment is unforgiving, to say the least. If you're new to tech consider a fundamentals/essentials course
- Dive side mount before buying new back mounted new gear, you may end up preferring side mount - like many of the cave divers I've met
- Arrive in decent shape

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would say you give some good advice. I would say,learn backmount and sidemount. They are both tools, and have appropriateness in certain caves. For example sidemount is obvious for restrictions and bedding planes,but in a fissure crack type passages,backmount will provide easier access with less cave damage. Also, if you travel abroad and want to cave dive,you may not be able to cobble together sidemount gear that suits your purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom