Belize Aggressor IV mooring breaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good news, second hand of course. Only lower hallway and rooms flooded. Engine room secure. Tug boat on the way. Captain and most of crew still aboard.
Thanks for the post. Good grief! Mayday and flooding...that must have been really stressful. I'm booked for the BA IV next month. Wonder what Aggressor's message will be this week.

Thanks for the post. Good grief! Mayday and flooding...that must have been really stressful. I'm booked for the BA IV next month. Wonder what Aggressor's message will be this week.
As of Saturday morning they were still assessing the situation, Captain and 4 crew still on board. Aggressor employee confirmed most of the damage was to the lower level cabin.

Crew worked hard to get our belongs to us. Only a few things missing for most of us except for the diver in the flooded cabin. Her computer and phone were soaked and camera/SD card missing. Most passengers were anxious for their non-dive related belongings. We had a bug out bag so had our passports and wallets. For my husband and I the anxiety was for our Freedom plates (@Eric Sedletzky). Seriously. BTW, we will be updating our bug out bag and adding a few more items, like car keys and contact case/glasses.

From the limited coverage on the internet it looks like Belize is already trying to go after the Captain and Aggressor. Does anyone know who is responsible for the moorings?

If you haven’t heard the Aggressor IV’s mooring broke while we were diving and waves threw it onto the reef. It was a challenge getting to the boat and boarding. Lowest level flooded. Mayday sent and passenger’s transferred by several boats in area fishing. We are currently in Long Caye at Itza Resort. Crew and boats managed to retrieve almost all passengers’ possessions. Everyone Ok but boat will likely be out of service for awhile.
Glad you are all OK, Lisa-- all the best!

I'm 99% sure that the Belize Aggressor IV was the former Sun Dancer II that Peter Hughes brought to Belize to replace the Wave Dancer after it capsized in Hurricane Iris, killing 20 people, on October 8th, 2001, in Big Creek, Belize. 17 were scuba divers from the Richmond Dive Club, 3 were crew. It's was a tragedy that could have been completely prevented. If you don't know the story, I recommend reading the book, "No Safe Harbor" by Joe Burnworth. The author was on the Aggressor III, with the other members of the Richmond Dive Club, during the storm. There's also a website created by the Richmond Dive Club:
I didn't know anyone involved, but the story haunts me regardless.

I'm 99% sure that the Belize Aggressor IV was the former Sun Dancer II that Peter Hughes brought to Belize to replace the Wave Dancer
100%. First time we were on it was soon after move - it still had all the Palau decor, critter pics, and the boatique full of Sun Dancer II tshirts etc on sale.

@uncfnp only slightly related question...did you see any coral bleaching during your time diving?

The coral bleaching on the reefs of Belize is stunning. We (@uncfnp and I) have never seen anything remotely this bad. It’s widespread, indiscriminate and disturbing. The dive guides stated they were seeing 90 degree water temps earlier in the year fwiw. Here are a few pics showing the issues near the surface, at depth, to brain coral and to branching coral (seen above the grouper). Even the reef shark is turning white!

581EF5B6-7CBC-4245-83F7-CB22169A4494.jpeg
9D9DF3C1-BF5F-4867-9731-BC2301D61F6F.jpeg
3418ED25-21F3-4AF2-9B0B-244A662F9C97.jpeg
2DE4365A-8D90-4792-925D-38B0B83FB5AE.jpeg
4B9457C2-2EB8-4EBF-AD45-A34A7E9DF864.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom