Belize and Bull Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Gary... hello from another "old fart." I started diving in the winter of 1961-62 as well.

Dr. Bill

Last time I dove the blue hole, I saw a very large bull and two others, I think grays. (I was actually paying more attention to the big shark, silly me). It was big and scary looking and it postured at us. I consider myself extremely lucky to have seen this magnificent creature so close to me.
It's a risk that you take by diving. Its a personal choice that only you can make. If you are truly scared and apt to panic if you see one, then I would avoid the dive. Just remember that the statistics are very much in your favor. Divers are not often attacked by sharks, especially there. Your chances of becoming an hors doevure are a bazillion times less than the chances of your dying in a crash in the plane on the way down there.

Diving in Belize next week. Definitely doing the blue hole. Hoping to see sharks. Just finished the book "Shark Chronicles" - very entertaining and informative.

We dove the Blue Hole a year and a half ago, it is an absolute must see! There were tons of sharks, bull sharks included, although they didn't seem too interested in us. I remember looking down into the murky water seeing nothing but the siloettes of sharks, the same above, then looking to my right seeing them coming towards us and turning at the last minute. The scariest part was when a boat above us started chumming and they went crazy when we were stopped for our safety stop. Luckily one of the dive masters went up and got them to stop! We dove with Amigos del Mar in Ambergris Caye, they were awesome! I had my husband, best friend and her husband do their open water dives with them then their first dive after certification was the blue hole and they all did great!

mark_n_marci:
We dove the Blue Hole..... dove with Amigos del Mar in Ambergris Caye, they were awesome!

Same experience for us. We were there a year ago. There are sharks in the blue hole and they get all itchy when they are being fed. We were asked if anyone minded if they chummed for sharks. No-one cared and they fed them. We saw the snorkelers on our boat get out of the water REAL fast when that started. We had very close experiences with many sharks. It was amazing to see them rocketing out of the murky depths to grab the fish etc.. that was thrown overboard.

By the way, The visibility in the blue hole was not spectacular. It was more like a freshwater lake. I will attach a few photos.

Anyway, it is a neat trip, I would not do it again unless there were some really good incentive.

PS Amigos Del Mar has a very nice boat going there. Dont go on a small one, it is a long trip.

rainmaker:
Okay, I'll bite (no pun intended)........

What do we have to do in order NOT to be mistaken for a seal?
"STAY OFF A SURFBOARD!"

Did you ever notice that surfers seem to be the seal look-a-like tid bit of choice. :D

Gary D.

rainmaker:
Okay, I'll bite (no pun intended)........

What do we have to do in order NOT to be mistaken for a seal?

The bubbles from your reg should be enough to make them keep their distance. They usually feed on sea lions on the surface - it's the surprise factor.

Besides, sharks don't like the taste of human flesh, so the most you'll get is one bite... :D

Do Sharks see color? Reason I ask is I wonder if wearing certain colors affect thier actions at all

Also any Whale Sharks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom