Belize Nekton Pilot: Crewmember lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still remember Cory as a little boy-what a sweetheart. I was hoping it was not true. What a loss and a tragedy. Prayers for his family.

At one time there were two Cory's on the Pilot.

One from Mississippi who was on the NW Bahamas in 15 - 22 Sep 07, and another one from Illinois.

This Cory was known as Ginge from Illinois

Ok, then sounds like a different Cory that I did not met?

These are the reports.
I. INCIDENT BRIEF

17 Nov 2002: Duty IO received call from duty watchstander reporting death of diver on board NEKTON RORQUAL. NEKTON RORQUAL was conducting a 6- day dive cruise when one diver was spotted unconscious in 60 feet of water. Diver's buddy replaced respirator, which had been removed due to convulsions, and began surfacing. Diver surfaced with no vitals. Diver received CPR for 90 minutes by fellow diver. Diver did not respond, and pronounced deceased. Cause of death unknown.

I. INCIDENT BRIEF

On or about 1630 on January 6, 2002, while on a dive excursion aboard the SPV NEKTON RORQUAL in the vicinity of the Exuma Cays, Bahamas, Mr. Ronald Dean Grounds experienced a cardiac episode, from which he did not recover. Mr. Grounds subsequently expired 25 minutes after all attempts to revive him were effected. There is no evidence of misconduct or negligence on the part of the operator of the vessel or its crew. See Findings of Fact for details.

On 6/20/2005

MISLE Activity Number: 2398048
Originating Unit: Sector Miami
MISLE Activity Owner: Commandant (CG-385)
MISLE Activity Controller: Commandant (CG-385)
MISLE Case Number: 237682

I. INCIDENT BRIEF

A divemaster, functioning on the vessel as an engineer, drowned while free diving alone. The Coast Guard flight surgeon pronounced death.

I don't know if this is only in US waters

Here is the source:
USCG Incident Investigation Reports (Online)

It's always tragic reading about a diver death. In this case it sounds like there were a couple mistakes made, but I looked up the dive site, and the floor was at around 135', so that is not terribly deep.

My prayers go out to the family and friends of Cory.

As a side note on the other diving fatalities that would appear to be more medical vs. diving related, does the Nekton line have a defibrillator on board?

I don't know why ALL boats are not required to carry them. In the case of a heart attack, that is generally to only way to revive the victim.

This is sad but does not suprise me in the least.

On my trip with Nekton - it was common practice for the off duty crew to solo dive.

This was originally posted by DeputyDan

So why repost it since it's hogwash?

What is hogwash about a fact?

If you read the other posts its so prevalent - others have complained to the Nekton office about it.

Sadly, I have to confirm info stated by Underwaterbumblebee about the loss of an experienced Dive Master from the Nekton Pilot. Search and rescue was nearly nonexistant and they rushed through that to the recovery stage in about 12 hours. That's for the loss of one of their crew family members; gosh, what if it had been a guest? Just pull up the anchor and go?

What is hogwash about a fact?

If you read the other posts its so prevalent - others have complained to the Nekton office about it.

This is terrible news and I am not going to debate solo diving with you on this thread. Have a Merry Christmas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom