Belize or Bonaire? I have to use free trip!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Belize last Sept of 06 and Bonaire April of 06. I got twice the dives in on Bonaire. Being new, thats where I would go. You can go at your own pace. Most of the hotels have a reef right off their shore. We stayed at Buddys while there and the reef right there is great. Some of the enteries can be a little interesting. Like at oil slick reef, there is about a 20 foot giant stride entry, but most of them you can just walk in.

At Buddys they have an easy entry and the reef is right there. There is a small wreck in front of the resort next to buddys whick you can get to from buddys reef.

Big animals in Belize (nurse and other shark, big groupers, rays, turtles, etc) or lots of cool macro life in Bonaire? Belize is a lot of fun and the canyons of the barrier reef are cool to dive. The town on Bonaire I didn't enjoy as much as San Pedro and the price of beer is too high, but the reefs are in good shape and the shore entries so easy there is no reason to get on a boat. Also with free airfills and often free Nitrox (depends on resort) you can get in all the diving you want. I'm a repeat offender at both places, so it's a toss up.

On second thought, take Bonaire hands down if the trip is free. The airfare to Bonaire from Sky Harbor can get over $900, but I just did Belize round trip for about $475.

(clarification - Thinking about it, I had given up drinking for Lent last time I was in Bonaire so it might not have been the town's fault:D I'll see when I return in April)

I vote for Bonaire. It's wonderfully easy diving! The restaurants are great, people are friendly, and it's dive, dive, dive!

Depends on if you want to do anything other than diving. If the answer is YES, then Belize. If the answer is NO, then Bonaire.

Bonaire, I liked the tall blonde Dutch women.

Thanks guys!!

Papa New Guinea sounds like a place where one might encounter a Great White. :)

Leaving for Bonaire July 14th myself...

We were also thinking Belize as one possibility... however, heard too many good things about Bonaire -- easy, multiple day and night dives, right off the shore... consistent temps (water and air)... little to no rainfall, if you want to do your SI's laying on the beach... great viz... free Nitrox... free donkey watching...

Is it really "anywhere in the world" or on a certain airline with various restrictions. If it's really anywhere I'd be looking at someplace in the Pacific, Indonesia, Australia, ... it's true some destinations are not as good for beginners but many places would be fine.

Between Belize and Bonaire I would choose a liveaboard in Belize. But you should do both sometime and since Bonaire is usually more expensive to get that might maximize the value of your freebie.

Thailand has been throw into the mix after someone just PM'd me about the Similan islands and taking a boat tour there.

They also sent me these pics! So now we are looking at Phillipines and Thailand. Choices, choices!!

similan1.jpg

similan3.jpg

similan6.jpg

similan2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom