Belize Tragedy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnj1233

Contributor
Reaction score
Former 500 princess dies during scuba trip

Lynsay Clutter/Eyewitness News

Columbus, October 26 - Throughout her life, Abby Brinkman shined. A fourth year medical student and Indy 500 princess in 2001, Abby's future seemed bright.

Sorority sister and former 500 festival princess Jennifer Sawa says Abby was a role model. "There were several service projects and she came to every single one with a positive spirit and it was genuine, and everybody knew that. It was contagious."

But she left the world early, leaving questions behind in her death.

Her parents say a boat carrying ten divers and two guides left the Belize coast Saturday morning. It dropped off a group of snorklers on South Silke Caye. The remaining six people and one guide motored out to the Barrier Reef for scuba diving. But something happened to the engine.

Jan Brinkman explains, "The snorklers and the remaining divers realized the boat was in trouble and saw it veering off course."

Blown by high winds and out of sight, the four divers on board decided to jump and swim back to Silke Caye.

Survivor Nancy Masters recalls, "I could still see the cayes, so we figured we could still get our dive equipment on and we could dive it. I felt that we could swim it anyway, but once we got into the water, we realized that the waves were much larger than they appeared."

Rescuers pulled the divers out two days later. According to Channel 5 News in Belize, Abby was the only one not wearing a wetsuit.

Family and friends are searching for the truth.

Roger Brinkman says, "Any parent that's lost a child is a parent's worst nightmare."

But in the meantime, they are just trying to pull through.

Sawa says, "Everyone is traumatized by this and at this point we're not as focused on getting answers as just comforting each other and getting through this time. I think that's something that's going to come later and everyone will need closure with that."

Safety officials issued a small craft warning that day because of rough waters left from Hurricane Wilma.

According to Channel 5 in Belize, the company that hosted the excursion, Advanced Diving, is under investigation. They had no warning flares in the boat, or radios, and their two guides had suspended licenses.

Roger Brinkman said he is going down to Belize Thursday.

>>>>>> Absolutely insane to abandon ship in rough seas. Ill bet the crew didnt attempt to swim. I believe we are all responsible for our personal decisions but this outfit needs to be investigated. As a charter boat owner I would never allow anyone to leave my vessel after a loss of power even under ideal circumstances.

This is like jumping out of a plane without a parachute when it hits turbulence or the engine stalls... I feel very very sorry for the family and it's a sad loss of the girl. And perhaps the operation needs to be investigated. But my goodness. Unless the boat sprung a leak, It's FLOATING...

mnj1233:
Survivor Nancy Masters recalls, "I could still see the cayes, so we figured we could still get our dive equipment on and we could dive it. I felt that we could swim it anyway, but once we got into the water, we realized that the waves were much larger than they appeared."

I can understand how that type of miscalculation could happen. The motor dies, so you decide to dive back to shore. The current is supposed to be weaker below surface anyway...

In fact, I once tried to do it myself in a strong current after the dive was aborted due to the current, but the instructor (AOW) decided to give up on our swim attempts because we weren't making much progress. It had started as a shore dive, but the instructor ended up calling the boat to come pick us up, so yeah, it can be hard to judge these things.

This has been discussed a bit in the Belize forum

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116673

and on another site specializing in Belizian diving.

http://www.belizeforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=14

Not suprisingly there is a bit more than is expressed in the little news brief that ws posted above. Including that the boat left for a dive on a day no one else would go out (wilma was to the north at the time) and that the dive outfit has a (perhaps limited) history of bad judgment and poor maintenance. Still abandoning a floating boat is a bit strange.

*Floater*:
I can understand how that type of miscalculation could happen. The motor dies, so you decide to dive back to shore. The current is supposed to be weaker below surface anyway...

In fact, I once tried to do it myself in a strong current after the dive was aborted due to the current, but the instructor (AOW) decided to give up on our swim attempts because we weren't making much progress. It had started as a shore dive, but the instructor ended up calling the boat to come pick us up, so yeah, it can be hard to judge these things.

Miscalculation and bad judgement by the passengers I can believe. Many do not enter the water more than once or twice a year during vacation. Poor judgment by a charter operater to allow this to happen is unfathomnable!!!!!! (SP)

I've placed her in our prayers, my heart felt sympathy to the family and if there is anything else we can do contact me.

Jay

mnj1233:
They had no warning flares in the boat, or radios,

Sorry but that fact alone with ensure i never set foot on the boat.

pufferfish:
Is this the outfit the newspaper article refers to? If so a picture is worth a thousand words.
http://www.beautifulbelize.com/advanceddiving

No Disrespect to the divers involved with this incident, but if I walked up and saw that boat, my survival instincts would kick in and I would find another opporator.
After seing the photo though, I do have a slight understanding why they abandoned ship, they were probably being baked alive sitting on a boat with no top!

And it that is a full-service dive shop, I'd hate to see what a bare bones one looks like!

I have not dove Belieze, is this type of opporation common?

Im struggling to see why people are saying those boats look so bad on the photos. Look like a standard planing type craft to me.

I wouldnt get on them with no radio/flares/SOLAS certification but looking at those photos if i didnt already know that i cant see the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom