Belize Trip Report May 5 - 13, 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garydemos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This trip actually originated from my daughter's biology class 7 years ago in Belize. She loved the country so much that she decided to get married there. I arrived in Belize City with my wife on the 5th and flew Tropic Air ($72) to San Pedro to hook up with my oldest daughter and her husband (who arrived a day earlier). I had prepaid for dives with Reef Adventures (to get a small discount) and they had everything in order and ready to go (including nitrox). We did 4 dives on Sunday and believe me I watched my computer closely. The first dives were of course deeper but not too deep - about 80' max. In the afternoon we stayed above 50' for the 3rd dive and ended up diving at Hol Chan on the 4th dive and stayed above 25'. That dive was absolutely beautiful with the sun shining through the water and an abundance of wildlife. We saw many Moray eels there. I saw a very large nurse shark on an earlier dive - at least 8' long. One nurse shark followed us all around and swam right up to me (obviously looking for a handout). Zib was our divemaster and he was very good. He was safety conscious and very informative. I understand that he guides for several of the dive shops. This was some very economical diving. I think I paid $135 for 4 tanks plus $30 for 3 nitrox tanks. Their boats are not the best but for that price who's complaining!

We headed back to the mainland the following day by boat taxi for $15. It was a nice ride and beautiful scenery. We met up with more family and then took a small bus with 11 people and a LOT of baggage to San Ignacio. We used PACZ tours for all of our group travel and they did a fantastic job. They were always on time, courteous, and stuck to the agreed upon price per person. I would definitely use them again. At San Ignacio we stayed at a cool place called Parrots Nest. They cooked great meals for breakfast ($6) and dinner ($12). I can't believe how cheap it was for such nice food. It was so convenient as well to have nice meals prepared each day right there. We did some hiking and I did the ATM cave with a few from the group.

After a few days there we had 18 with us on a larger PACZ bus to go to Hopkins. That was an interesting little place and that is where the wedding took place (on the beach). On Friday (day before the wedding) 7 of us used Hamanasi for a 3-tank dive at Glover's Reef (Atoll). The reef was the most beautiful I've seen. It was abundant with very colorful coral and vegetation. I saw a 7' high sponge there. The wildlife was not as abundant but we did see a nice loggerhead. Hamanasi runs a very nice operation and has nice boats. That trip cost me $195.
IMG_0247.jpg
Here is Zib from Reef Adventures
IMG_0324.jpg
A jungle hike

IMG_0346.jpg
On Hamanasi's boat
IMG_0350.jpg
A surface interval on a sand bar
IMG_0341.jpg
My daughter Miranda who got married the next day!

Thanks for the report. Glad you had a good time. And good for you for taking the time and effort to explore all the wonderful gifts Belize has to offer.

I especially enjoy topside photos since all Nurse Sharks tend to look alike.

Congrats to you and yours on the wedding, btw.

I'm really glad everything went so well for you. Next time I'll have to make sure I'm there!

Thanks Downing and Peter. Peter - we had lunch at the little cafe you recommended (across the street from Paradise Villas) and enjoyed meeting the gal (can't remember her name) who operates it. Also enjoyed the Blue Grill for dinner that night. I would love to do some more diving in Belize so maybe we can connect next time!

Back
Top Bottom