Belizean schools, this is good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought all you Americans might like to hear this. Nowadays in the States, from what I hear, schools are really cracking down on what can be brought onto school grounds. Potential weapons, etc etc, what with the school shootings and other violence. Well, my son is second form (sophmore) in high school here in Independence and this is what he had to do for integrated Science class. He and all the students in his class were required to bring a large kitchen knife, yes, you read it right.... and each had to kill, pluck and dress out a chicken. Then the chickens were served for their lunches. I had to laugh when he told me about it. Can you imagine if this was done in school there in the USA? Hank

never happen..not in a bazillion years..not these days. If it doesnt go in a microwave then its not food. I bet your kids there actually go outside and play and what not too. Instead of thier backsides being rooted to the sofa.

I used to teach in South Korea and pigs are a big symbol of wealth there. So when a new business opens, for good luck they bring in a pig's head from the local market, and do a ceremony. When my boss had the school renovated, all the teachers had to line up in groups of 3 and bow to this massive head and stuff 10,000Won ($10 bills) in it's mouth.

:lol:

I used to see a similar thing when I lived in Fiji, the kids as young as six were REQUIRED to bring a cane knife (machete on a stick) to school in order to cut the grass on the school grounds. Normally they would end up with an old one that had been filed down so it looked like a Zulu Aseigi. It put the willies up me to wonder what would happen if they had a tiff over their game of marbles..

When I taught high school, most of the male students carried knives on them. Never any problem. We had them catch and clean their own fish for dinner, occasionally hunt and dress pigs, kill and clean chickens, etc. The only time I had any trouble was the drunken student who went at people with a pick axe and another one who went at me with a machete. In their drunken state I was able to disarm them and kick their butts. We could do that as teachers back then.

Dr. Bill

I have always and still do carry a pocket knife. Never considered it a weapon, just a tool. When I was in school, if a weapon came out in a conflict, you were considered weak and afraid and ostracized by your peers. Today, don't carry a knife to a gun fight.

drbill:
When I taught high school, most of the male students carried knives on them. Never any problem. We had them catch and clean their own fish for dinner, occasionally hunt and dress pigs, kill and clean chickens, etc. The only time I had any trouble was the drunken student who went at people with a pick axe and another one who went at me with a machete. In their drunken state I was able to disarm them and kick their butts. We could do that as teachers back then.

Dr. Bill
Whoa!!! Were the heck did you teach? :11: Tell me so I can stay far away. lol Why did they have to find their own food?

Ah, yes - but TV & movies were tamer then. And most kids experience a lot of influence from hours of electronic babysitting!

No TV in my home since 1988!

Back
Top Bottom