bent bad in Grand cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdennyb:
Dec to 80ft (4) on Air, 20ft/min descent.
Level 80ft 21:00 (25) on Air, 0.72 ppO2, 80ft ead
Level 96ft 5:12 (31) on Air, 0.82 ppO2, 96ft ead
It's not travel speed... here is where you are not matching his profile.
You've got him at 80ft for 21 minutes, and at 96ft for another 5.
He indicated that his profile was a TOTAL runtime of 31 minutes, including 5 minutes at 15ft, and "19 minutes of the dive above 40ft"... you've got him at or below 80 for the entire 31 minutes.
He claims to have only done a total of 6 minutes below 80ft, 19 shallower than 40, and 5 at 15ft. 6+19+5=30. That leaves only one minute unaccounted for, unless the 31 minutes does not include the safety stop, in which case, we have 6 minutes to spread through the ascent/descent portion between 40 and 80ft.
miked:
Dive #1: max depth 96 ft,
time 31 minutes, of which only 6 minutes were deeper
than 80', and only 2 deeper than 90'
19 mins of the dive were shallower than 40'
(those specifics came from a computer download of the dive)
safety stop: 5 min at 15'

Hey Rich, I see what you mean! I was reading his post to have a depth of 80 feet and a longer bottom time, but after re-reading it and having my daughter tell me I was stupid (!)m I realised I was putting him down longer. Oh well, it would appear I'm not diving enough...I have too much residual nitrogen in my body! I'm narced and at the surface! Oh no.

V-Planner 3.43 by R. Hemingway, VPM code by Erik C. Baker.

Decompression model: VPM-B

DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 5 day 0 hr 0 min.
Elevation = 0ft
Conservatism = + 4

Dec to 40ft (2) on Air, 20ft/min descent.
Level 40ft 17:00 (19) on Air, 0.46 ppO2, 40ft ead
Dec to 80ft (21) on Air, 20ft/min descent.
Level 80ft 4:00 (25) on Air, 0.72 ppO2, 80ft ead
Dec to 96ft (25) on Air, 20ft/min descent.
Level 96ft 1:12 (27) on Air, 0.82 ppO2, 96ft ead
Asc to sfc. (30) on Air, -30ft/min ascent.

OTU's this dive: 5
CNS Total: 2.0%

52.9 cu ft Air
52.9 cu ft TOTAL

LOL
db

Rich and cdennyb,

I didn't know this dive would generate such interest!
Seeing the type of info you are looking at, perhaps I can give a bit better breakdown of the dive,following the style in your posts:
( although I have 0 experience with V planner, etc.)

From the surface down to 40': 3 min.

40' to 80': 4 min.

80-96-80: 6 mins [includes the 2min below 90']

80'-40': 6 mins

40' -15': 5 mins

SS at 15': 5 mins (this was included in the "19 mins")

15'- surface: 2 mins.

I don't think I've had any other dive analyzed nearly as much as this one- nor do I have as many details!
Take care,
Mike

:wink:
Miked...

http://www.hhssoftware.com/v-planner/

This is the web site to download a copy of the v-planner deco software. You can use it free for 30 days and then buy it. The author posts on deco stop and here too I think. Ross is pretty cool. You're at the point I think you should have this software in your library and use it religiously to back up your dive plans.
enjoy it. play with it, and you'll wonder how you ever got through a dive without. It's a lot of fun to play with every "what if" scenario you can think of. Let me know how you like it.
later
db

Sorry to hear about your accident. I've seen divers get bent pushing the tables or trying to squeeze the last minute out of their computers. The NAVY dive tables were first written for military personel who are in a lot better shape than most of us sport divers. That's why PADI rewrote the tables a few years ago so sport divers wouldn't get bent so often. Now for some hard questions ..... who where you diving with (Red Sail Sports, Don Foster, Bob Soto, Fisheye ...), what type and brand of gauges or computer were you using ..... could it have been off? When was the last time it was checked at a shop ?

scubapro50:
Sorry to hear about your accident. I've seen divers get bent pushing the tables or trying to squeeze the last minute out of their computers. The NAVY dive tables were first written for military personel who are in a lot better shape than most of us sport divers. That's why PADI rewrote the tables a few years ago so sport divers wouldn't get bent so often. Now for some hard questions ..... who where you diving with (Red Sail Sports, Don Foster, Bob Soto, Fisheye ...), what type and brand of gauges or computer were you using ..... could it have been off? When was the last time it was checked at a shop ?

As a matter of fact, I was being super careful-so i thought-ironic isn't it. I was never out of "the green", or close to NDLs.

I was diving with Fisheye, and have no ill feelings whatsoever towards those folks. The dives they did were well within the realm of safe recreational dives.

Regarding the computer, I usually carry two-a primary and a backup. On this particular dive, I carried three, due to a set of circumstances too boring to relate.
I had two Oceanic Versa Pros-one a month old (12 dives), and the other on its first dive (This was a new computer, a warranty replacement for a VP that had suffered a flooded battery compartment.) I also had a Skinnydipper Mark 2-my usual backup. All three computers relayed the same dive info (up to the limits of the SD) regarding depth, time, etc.
So-in short-the dives were planned safely, executed safely,and the compuiters were functioning properly.

As people on this thread have said, and in agreement with the doctors, etc. in GC- the hit was "undeserved"- (a term, I am told ,that has been replaced with the term "unexpected")

Take care,
Mike

miked:
in GC- the hit was "undeserved"- (a term, I am told ,that has been replaced with the term "unexpected")
Probably a better term. Anything that can be done to reduce the stigma of taking a hit is a good thing, as it will reduce the intensity of denial.

I would be seriously freaked getting symptoms after your profile (this is why the strong interest)....
You had a 10ft/minute descent, floated around a 15ft depth range for 6 minutes, followed by basically a 6ft/minute ascent to 40ft, then a 5ft/minute ascent to 15ft, a 5 minute SS, and a 7ft/minute ascent from the SS to the surface. The only areas where it appears that there could have been protocol violations could have been in the 80-40 and 40-15... like if you stayed at 80 and 40 for 6 minutes then rocketed to 40 and 15, but the rest of your profile does not indicate that you would have done this.

In short, you did everything right, yet still suffered a hit.

That is more conservative than ANY dive I've ever done... my safety stop ascents are usually about 1 minute, but in rough conditions may be a bit faster (I go by my ears in the shallows... if I can feel them clearing I'm ascending too quickly)

RichLockyer:
Probably a better term. Anything that can be done to reduce the stigma of taking a hit is a good thing, as it will reduce the intensity of denial.

I would be seriously freaked getting symptoms after your profile (this is why the strong interest)....
You had a 10ft/minute descent, floated around a 15ft depth range for 6 minutes, followed by basically a 6ft/minute ascent to 40ft, then a 5ft/minute ascent to 15ft, a 5 minute SS, and a 7ft/minute ascent from the SS to the surface. The only areas where it appears that there could have been protocol violations could have been in the 80-40 and 40-15... like if you stayed at 80 and 40 for 6 minutes then rocketed to 40 and 15, but the rest of your profile does not indicate that you would have done this.

In short, you did everything right, yet still suffered a hit.

That is more conservative than ANY dive I've ever done... my safety stop ascents are usually about 1 minute, but in rough conditions may be a bit faster (I go by my ears in the shallows... if I can feel them clearing I'm ascending too quickly)

Hi Rich
I appreciate the interest. I wish there was an answer. If I screwed up, at least there would be "something to avoid".

"Freaked" is a good word. I'm usually pretty cautious, and was deliberately more cautious than usual on this dive:first dive of the trip, depth, etc.-and "whammo". The concensus seems to be, to almost quote the Dr. in GC "sometimes (stuff) happens".

FYI: A bit more info regarding the ascents:
From 80 to 40 was a relatively uniform, leisurely swim following the contour of the sloping bottom.
From 40 to about 25 feet, was pretty much the same,with a few stops to take a closer look at small stuff, and from 25-15 was a "slow float" up to the SS.
The 2 min from SS to the surface was slower than usual, (BTW, I also "listen" to my ears) due to waiting for the ladder to be clear of some other divers.

Take care,
Mike

miked:
As a matter of fact, I was being super careful-so i thought-ironic isn't it. I was never out of "the green", or close to NDLs.

I was diving with Fisheye, and have no ill feelings whatsoever towards those folks. The dives they did were well within the realm of safe recreational dives.

Regarding the computer, I usually carry two-a primary and a backup. On this particular dive, I carried three, due to a set of circumstances too boring to relate.
I had two Oceanic Versa Pros-one a month old (12 dives), and the other on its first dive (This was a new computer, a warranty replacement for a VP that had suffered a flooded battery compartment.) I also had a Skinnydipper Mark 2-my usual backup. All three computers relayed the same dive info (up to the limits of the SD) regarding depth, time, etc.
So-in short-the dives were planned safely, executed safely,and the compuiters were functioning properly.

As people on this thread have said, and in agreement with the doctors, etc. in GC- the hit was "undeserved"- (a term, I am told ,that has been replaced with the term "unexpected")

Take care,
Mike

Just a side note. I ususally dive w/3 computers (mostly deco, but that another story), the 3 are Aeris Atmos 2 (same algorithm as the Versa Pro), the Dive Rite Duo, and Suunto Viper.
All three have different algorithims, and the Aeris/Oceanic algorithm is the most aggressive.
I have seen this on my dives and there was a recent article in one of the mags (sorry forgot which one) which compared these three and their findings merely confirmed what I have observed.

The bottom line is:
When you are diving drink WATER. When you are diving DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL.
If you want to party, DO NOT DIVE.
I am a chamber operator in Honduras and I see this all the time.
Be aware.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom