Bent in Belize--Blue Hole Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is why I always have a backup computer, and always dive with both. I don't understand why anyone would leave one on the boat.
I use two. But, one only does air so if I'm diving nitrox, it functions as a bottom timer.I also bring tables and my eRDP. A computer failure would be the very last thing to keep me from enjoying a big dive trip.

tracy the good thing about diving nitrox with the air computer, the air only will always be more conservative than the nitrox machine, so you do not run into the issue of computer variation in profile conservatism..... I know lots of people that will dive nitrox on air profiles/tables the last day of the trip to make certain they're being more conservative.

I'm sorry to the OP for taking the hit, and being in the misery he's in. It was definitely an expected hit, and was a very foolish decision. Spend the money(without whining about medical care not being socialized....it's really not the taxpayers of any countries job to pay for your poor choice and risky behaviors), get well, and walk away lesson learned.

he could have planned his last three dives ( or two, I lost track of when he dropped the battery) with his tables or easier, yet, the eRDP.
Please clarify how you put a 151' deco dive into your dive table or your eRDP ( electronic Recreational Dive Planner ). Which dive table are you using?

Wow.

Do you descend horizontally?

In the future, don't be afraid to fin yourself neutral while you adjust to a slower descent rate. Better to do a slow descent than a rocket sled to the bottom with SCUBA... better yet, then you can go "Whoa, we're at 100 ft, time to stop descending as I do not have sufficient training / equipment to carry this out any further".

wow, crazy story. Seems dumb for the DM to take folks in single 80's for rides like that...even with appropriate deco training I would never agree to 150' on a single tank, just too much can go wrong.
Good luck on the recovery.

OP here.

I did my second chamber ride today, and it turns out that my travel insurance does cover the chamber.

Today's ride was a lot smoother than yesterday's. Yesterday (profile 6) I felt terrible after. My lungs were closed up like I had a bad cold. I fell asleep afterwards, and the doctor woke me up. It was rough, really really rough.

Today (profile 5) I was able to walk to the clinic after the treatment. The DCS is gone, although I may end up with tingly fingers, I am still alive. And even though I spent two days in a steel box, I didn't end up in a wooden one. I've let my mom and family know that I'm okay. I've also been treated very nicely by the folks here in San Pedro, and most of them have heard of my predicament. They call me by my hotel name, but I know who they mean.

I am not trolling, I am not trying to make excuses, and I know I messed up. This thread could very easily be titled "Canadian dies after the Blue Hole." and started by someone else. I am lucky to be alive. I know that. The point of this was to just to show how easy it is to mess up, and mess up really bad. Like I said, you don't always hear this side, just a guess from the coroner. I'm happy to hear that someone is helping DAN out, I'm glad I could serve as an example. Right now I have upwards of 10 mosquitos on me having dinner so you guys and girls can hear an update.

And I may not dive again, it will be several months before that gets figured out. I may never be ready to dive again mentally. Thank all of you for your private messages about how I should give up before I get myself killed. And thanks especially to that special someone who suggested I take more English Composition classes.

Love,
theMagni.

Last edited:
Why in heck would you take English composition classes? You would take Canadian composition classes.....otherwise known as "How to speak and write like a Newfy" and see how they enjoyed it :D. I know you are not from the rock but their dialect is funnier. You are taking the inevitable grief (that is guaranteed to come with a thread like yours) like a champ IMO. Keep your chin up and know that even those that are acting like idiots are, in the end, glad you are here to tell your story (or so I believe anyway).

And thanks especially to that special someone who suggested I take more English Composition classes.

The point of this was to just to show how easy it is to mess up, and mess up really bad.

Glad you "lived to tell the tale" but you need to be honest with yourself about something: It's not THAT EASY to mess up the way you did. You worked pretty hard at it.

:d

You don't say when you plan to fly home. I hope you follow the orders from the chamber doc about that. If I recall correctly, I think it is a minimum of 4 days after your last ride. Otherwise, you still could end up in that wooden box you refer to! ;-)

Another vote for DAN insurance, covered my $10,000 bill for my 3 rides in the chamber in Manado a few years ago -- an "undeserved"/"unexpected" hit which I fully believe my (now closed) PFO contributed to.

And, I also dive with 2 computers now. Since getting back in the water after my PFO closure, I only dive Nitrox on air profiles. So one computer is kept on air, and the second is set to Nitrox so I can keep an eye on my true nitrogen loading.

Good luck on your recovery. Get lots of rest. Your body has been through a lot the last few days. Take it easy!

Everyone is so quick to tell you how great you are for posting this, but I don't see any real name in that signature, so I give no kudos for admitting your faults. My advise to you is to sell all your dive gear and find another hobby. You failed yourself, your kids, your ex wife, your instructor who should have taught you better and all other responsible divers by breaking just about every rule that exists for diving. YOU WENT IN THE WATER WITHOUT A DEPTH GAUGE???? Really, Inconceivable. Probably the only reason you are still alive is your general good health and absolute pure luck. Go buy a lottery ticket. DAN insurance should not even pick up the tab for this just because you were so far out of the realm of good judgement and common sense, I'm surprised that your health insurance will. It would be well within their rights to deny the claim if someone forwarded your admission printed here. You just used up your one free pass, hang up the mask and do not dive ever again. I have only heard of one diving death that had a worse decision tree than this one.

Yes I read the rules for posting here and I fully expect this post to be removed for my not being "nice". Someone needed to come out and say just how bad your decisions were, not pat you on the back and say "its going to be OK". If I were your instructor I would cut up the C-card you have with my name on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom