Bent over a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai once bubbled...
Does anyone have a picture of the low pressure inflator in question so I could get a sense of how easy this would be to do?

Check out the aqua lung site. The picture isn't great, but it doesn't look any different than others on the market.

My BCD is a Seaquest and I can quiet clearly feel the button when I touch or push it. I can hear it inflate also, something you cant hear when you try to deflate.

I'm having a hard time imagining a BC that wouldn't make noise when inflating. This (as you suggest) should have been a good indication that he had the wrong button.

While I would love to blame the manufacturer, its kinda like someone who pushes the gas peddle instead of the brake peddle and then hits a car.

Sorry, dreamin' but I've got to agree with Chris here.

Cornfed

Sorry to hear about your brother.

I hope I never see the onset of DCS because the first thing I am going to do if no oxygen is available is to get back in water. I was not taught in basic scuba class that in water recompression is bad. Every article I have read on the subjuct says that is the thing to do.

I also have to agree that getting your own equipment is a good ideal and every dive you should practice your basic skills. I hope he is able to return to diving and that he will want to once he recovers. We wish him the best of luck in the future.

You should be able to swim down against a fully inflated bc easily. You can use the time this gives you to use a rear dump (hopefully you have one), disconnect the inflator hose if the inflator is stuck open, and in general not pop to the surface and get bent.

Munin once bubbled...
You should be able to swim down against a fully inflated bc easily. You can use the time this gives you to use a rear dump (hopefully you have one), disconnect the inflator hose if the inflator is stuck open, and in general not pop to the surface and get bent.
I don't know about you, but for me it's NOT easy, and perhaps not possible to swim down against the 30 or 40 pound lift of a fully inflated BC. (S Malibu is 30#, M is 40#).

I agree with your other suggestions, and would add that it is a good idea to see how easy it is to disconnect your inflator hose. I replaced the LPI hose on my Seaquest BC with one that has a decent knurl on it for a better grip.

In the original incident, though, it sounds more like operator error than a mechanical malfunction.

Hello,

In water recompression is a useful tool in the right hands of compentent divers. However in cases like the one listed it's better to just call the chamber and let them work their magic. Had this person performed the in water recompression he may have lost his life and the lives of his dive team. In water recompression is not recomended for the masses!

Ed

Munin once bubbled...

All of this is true, however, he has only 10 logged dives. The experience level he has is very basic and the type of trouble shooting and required remedy action is at this point far beyond the skill level of most if not all beginners. (The following is not directed at you Munin, I'm just adding it to this post because it fits nicely.)

Oh sure, I've heard all the comments of how "if they cant do 'even that' they shouldn't be diving". Remember, not everyone was born with a full set of gear and genetic memory! Some people need to learn how to use the skills they were taught. That’s what the OW certification is, a license to learn. It's also why the OW certification has a depth limit of 60 feet. Its less likely you will kill yourself at that depth, not impossible, just less likely. In time they will discover that they can in fact control most situations that come up. It’s also why I strongly support the concept of an AOW course after you have logged at least 25 dives.

I agree with everyone. Diver error. My brother will telll you he screwed up big time as well. I have indicated in my discussions with him how stupid his actions were in a way that only an older brother can! About the only thing I didn't vilify was his lineage (for obvious reasons).

He is an inexperienced diver. It was his first dive of the season ( second of the day). It was rental gear that he had not dove with before. We had discussed it's configuration prior to entering the water.

Any accident is made up of a series of decisions that if any one is chained the outcome is altered. He erred. That said the design of the of the hose leaves much to be desired. The inflator button of my TP II is such that my brothers error would have been much more difficult. The inflator button sticks out in such a way that make its depression a much more concious act. The rental inflator simply falls into ones hand. A firm grip on the hose would cause the depression of the inflator hose. Are SUV's prone to tipping over? Some are but some are not due to a better design.

Some further info. He did not press the button All the way up. In his "zeal" to press the dump button, properly orient himself and get the hose aove his head he knocked the regulator out of his mouth. I am proud to report he continued to blow bubbles as his upward ascent accelerated. He recovered his reg but at that point was well beyond any recovery.

Diver error? big time! It simply should not have happened if he had been more attentive. If the design of the equipment had been more like the TP II I think the outcome would have been different though. That is my point. Better design can help eliminate errors especially for the new divers.

He takes full responsibilty for his mistakes and we have discussed what could have been done differently to prevent or mitigate the accident. We had 5 hours of decompression to talk about it.

I asked for his admission of guilt in wrighting to show our mother. He is the "baby" and could therefore do no wrong. Is she ticked at me!

In any event Diver error? - YES! Equipment design? - contributing factor.

double125's once bubbled...

I hope I never see the onset of DCS because the first thing I am going to do if no oxygen is available is to get back in water. I was not taught in basic scuba class that in water recompression is bad. Every article I have read on the subjuct says that is the thing to do.

You must not be reading the same articles I am. IWR is not something to be feared like many people are taught. However it isn't the best thing in every situation.

In this case, the diver in question was at home the day after! He did the right thing and it all worked out for the best.

IWR can be a tool but it's not the answer in every case. If you decide to do it you had better be damn sure you've thought the whole scenario through.

Cornfed

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
dreamin'

I have an opinion for you but you may or may not like it so take it as you see fit.

First off equipment unfamiliarity figures quit prominatly in diving accidents and so do rapid ascents. So do underdeveloped and rusty skills. Frankly hiting the wrong button (not likely) shouldn't be a big deal.

Frankly yours is the only sensible response to this incident. Unless one really " lays" on the button, either inflate or deflate, you don't get this result. And one never should be making these drastic actions on a normal ascent. Small adjustments to the BC.
Could be that training thing again Mike??

Munin once bubbled...

I don't have one because I find they let air out too fast and are another point of failure if it sticks.

I was at the quarry recently and a gentleman was there to dive. He had bungied wings with 3 quick dumps ( counting the pull on the inflator ) and his wing wouldnt inflate before the dive. I guess that was the one good thing about the bungies, it was real obvious he had a leak. He finally fixed it ( a sticking quick dump )

Needless to say I didn't like the thought of being at 90' in a compressed 7mil and a whole lot of lead and not be able to get my BCD inflated to be neutral.

Back
Top Bottom