Bent!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DDM, Thanks for the reply.

We have consulted DAN and diff. Docs.

The diver in question will be diving more conservatively due to the divers' condition.

Kevin,I've asked you on another forum to please give it a rest. Now I'm asking here.If you want to start a "Kevrumbo's Best DCS Response Protocol" thread have at, but please leave my thread alone.Tobin
taxidriversmall.gif

Tobin,
1st off i would like to wish you a speedy recovery and congratulate you and the response team for a job very thoroughly executed.
I was bent about 11 years ago by a bad decision by our dive supervisor, who accelerated our deco coming out of Saturation, and gave 6 divers (me included) a case of type 2 DCS.
One of the things (after all our recompression, starting with Sched 6) we were asked to do for a month after treatment was to do shallow dives to 60FSW with very, very slow ascents, swiching to very high PPo2 on ascent, essentially mimicking the recompression treatment.
I was back in saturation within 4 months and have subsequently dived to 1000ft on 3 occasions and have remained incident free.
This is no longer advised as therapy in the world of commercial diving, but I remain convinced that it helped me.
Your decision to dive shallow for a while may very well have a therapeutic effect.

Tobin,
1st off i would like to wish you a speedy recovery and congratulate you and the response team for a job very thoroughly executed.
I was bent about 11 years ago by a bad decision by our dive supervisor, who accelerated our deco coming out of Saturation, and gave 6 divers (me included) a case of type 2 DCS.
One of the things (after all our recompression, starting with Sched 6) we were asked to do for a month after treatment was to do shallow dives to 60FSW with very, very slow ascents, swiching to very high PPo2 on ascent, essentially mimicking the recompression treatment.
I was back in saturation within 4 months and have subsequently dived to 1000ft on 3 occasions and have remained incident free.
This is no longer advised as therapy in the world of commercial diving, but I remain convinced that it helped me.
Your decision to dive shallow for a while may very well have a therapeutic effect.

Wow. That had to be really disconcerting, when your safety is in the hands of others and they err. The shallow dives with high PPO2 is interesting, but given that the current recommendation is 6 weeks out of the water I would guess any therapeutic for me will be minimal. Rest assured however that my first dives will be shallow, with High PPO2's with veeery slow ascents.

Tobin

Thanks for sharing your experience.Just wondering how much this ordeal cost you?
cheers

Way too soon to know. I haven't yet seen any bills. I do have decent Health Insurance, and DAN (secondary) insurance. I've no doubt met this years deductible....

Tobin

Last edited:
Tobin -

First of all, I am glad that you came through this ok, and will be back in the water soon.

Secondly, I thank you for sharing your story on ScubaBoard. You are one of the people on here that people look up to and seek advice from, so for them to know that this can happen to ANYONE is a good thing....and your great description of the events can possibly help someone catch this quickly, instead of waiting a long time to seek attention.

Thanks,

Scott

...//...Approximately 5 minutes after exiting the water and getting out of my gear I began to feel chest tightness and profound need to cough. This occurred as we were moving gear on the boat and recovering scooters/ deco bottles. ...//...

I'm wondering if the exertion of exiting the water and moving heavy gear around immediately after your second dive was a contributing factor. Being an older diver, I try to avoid post-dive heavy exertion for about ten minutes. Re-read this thread but looks like nobody addressed it, -I haven't read you posts in the other boards, maybe you addressed it there?

Wow! Just found this thread. Thanks for sharing. Glad you came out ok and best wishes for a continued recovery.

I'm wondering if the exertion of exiting the water and moving heavy gear around immediately after your second dive was a contributing factor. Being an older diver, I try to avoid post-dive heavy exertion for about ten minutes. Re-read this thread but looks like nobody addressed it, -I haven't read you posts in the other boards, maybe you addressed it there?

Working too hard too soon could certainly be part of the puzzle, and it's something I plan to change going forward, but it's also nothing I haven't done many times. The conditions on the 4th were pretty benign, almost no swell. I've done these types of dives off this boat in "Victory at Sea" conditions when the gear "humpage" and the imperative to get things stowed was much higher without ill effects.

As with most accidents the real answer is likely a combination of things, and dialing back all those I can identify will help tilt the odds back in my favor.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom