Best Caribbean location for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark_S

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a free trip to any Sandals/Beaches and want to do some diving while there around March. What is the best resort location to visit for best diving and snorkeling? I know Sandals is not the best but it’s free! I would also like to try and reach out to a local dive shop to do a shark dive and night dive if possible. I’d prefer 1 or 2 wreck options but not a deciding factor.

Many years ago we stayed at Sandals hotels - La Toc (bay), Royal Bahamian and Emerald Bay (Bahamas).

La Toc - There are three properties there and this is the most southern and now maybe the largest. We went there twice. First on honeymoon and me as a new diver. I wanted to go back as a more experienced diver. They expanded after the first trip and I think it got too big. The beach there is not the best. Halcyon's beach was better. The dive sites to the south around the pitons are better. St. Lucia diving is good but not great. Better for me than Bahamas diving unless I am looking for sharks.
There are a couple of wrecks and the Lesleen M is good. The other is a good size Japanese freighter/dredger.

The diving near Royal Bahamian (New Providence - Nassau) was not that good however the air and water temp in January was 64 F with high winds. However there were quite alot of sharks and our dives were not feeding dives as we took advantage of the staging areas of other dive ops - the sharks know. Lots of sand in general but we did try a wall to the north but the DM had us swimming against the current the whole time. Short dive, even by Sandals standards.
Small property and beach. Not sure I would snorkel off the beach but didn't try.

Emerald Bay, Great Exuma, Bahamas - We stayed here because they had just bought a Four Seasons hotel and were doing a soft opening with free butler service (awesome). The diving here was quite alot of sand and not that interesting. We were scheduled to do a wall one day but a lightning storm cancelled it. We bailed on Sandals diving and went with a local dive op. This hotel has a fantastic large beach and the property was good. Lots of sand and we could wade out 100 yards to chest depth. Maybe not so good for snorkeling. We did dive a small blue hole which I had not done before. There was a small wreck but don't know it's condition now (been 13 years).

Of the three, I would say St. Lucia was better diving and topside is much better (pitons and more mountainous). I just can't dive with Sandals anymore as it's too restrictive with short follow the leader dives. I know it's free but so does everyone else including the honeymooners, which I was one the first time, many many years ago. These were my first ocean dives.

If you want wrecks, and of the three, St. Lucia is better. We never tried night dives at any of the three locations. I would say that if you want an outside operator, you will have more options on New Providence (Nassau) but the diving is not as good but does offer dedicated shark dives. Great Exuma is small and has less dive ops. St. Lucia has other dives ops that have good reputations.
For any Sandals location you choose, I would send emails to the outside ops beforehand and see what they say.

If I had to choose between the three I mention here, I would choose St. Lucia. When we were there, Halcyon was buggy as hell but could have been a specific time of year (August and believe me it was hot). Btw, at the time and maybe still active, you were able to go to the other properties for play or dinner but it had to be organized in advance.

I am judging diving as compared to FP, Fiji and Cozumel.

Many years ago we stayed at Sandals hotels - La Toc (bay), Royal Bahamian and Emerald Bay (Bahamas).

La Toc - There are three properties there and this is the most southern and now maybe the largest. We went there twice. First on honeymoon and me as a new diver. I wanted to go back as a more experienced diver. They expanded after the first trip and I think it got too big. The beach there is not the best. Halcyon's beach was better. The dive sites to the south around the pitons are better. St. Lucia diving is good but not great. Better for me than Bahamas diving unless I am looking for sharks.
There are a couple of wrecks and the Lesleen M is good. The other is a good size Japanese freighter/dredger.

The diving near Royal Bahamian (New Providence - Nassau) was not that good however the air and water temp in January was 64 F with high winds. However there were quite alot of sharks and our dives were not feeding dives as we took advantage of the staging areas of other dive ops - the sharks know. Lots of sand in general but we did try a wall to the north but the DM had us swimming against the current the whole time. Short dive, even by Sandals standards.
Small property and beach. Not sure I would snorkel off the beach but didn't try.

Emerald Bay, Great Exuma, Bahamas - We stayed here because they had just bought a Four Seasons hotel and were doing a soft opening with free butler service (awesome). The diving here was quite alot of sand and not that interesting. We were scheduled to do a wall one day but a lightning storm cancelled it. We bailed on Sandals diving and went with a local dive op. This hotel has a fantastic large beach and the property was good. Lots of sand and we could wade out 100 yards to chest depth. Maybe not so good for snorkeling. We did dive a small blue hole which I had not done before. There was a small wreck but don't know it's condition now (been 13 years).

Of the three, I would say St. Lucia was better diving and topside is much better (pitons and more mountainous). I just can't dive with Sandals anymore as it's too restrictive with short follow the leader dives. I know it's free but so does everyone else including the honeymooners, which I was one the first time, many many years ago. These were my first ocean dives.

If you want wrecks, and of the three, St. Lucia is better. We never tried night dives at any of the three locations. I would say that if you want an outside operator, you will have more options on New Providence (Nassau) but the diving is not as good but does offer dedicated shark dives. Great Exuma is small and has less dive ops. St. Lucia has other dives ops that have good reputations.
For any Sandals location you choose, I would send emails to the outside ops beforehand and see what they say.

If I had to choose between the three I mention here, I would choose St. Lucia. When we were there, Halcyon was buggy as hell but could have been a specific time of year (August and believe me it was hot). Btw, at the time and maybe still active, you were able to go to the other properties for play or dinner but it had to be organized in advance.

I am judging diving as compared to FP, Fiji and Cozumel.
Thank you for your input. I know it’s not the best option but it’s free so I figured I’d get a few dives in. I do plan to reach out to local dive shops once I make a decision in order to plan a dive (or a few). I’ve never been diving in the Pacific but it’s on my bucket list!

Sandals Barbados offers the typical Sandals experience but the diving there is pretty good. There are also a number of good shops that will pick you up and take you to their shop. if you decide on going there let me know so I can arrange or you to speak with one of the senior dive team members

Sandals St. Vincent might be the best location.

I have a free trip to any Sandals/Beaches and want to do some diving while there around March. What is the best resort location to visit for best diving and snorkeling? I know Sandals is not the best but it’s free! I would also like to try and reach out to a local dive shop to do a shark dive and night dive if possible. I’d prefer 1 or 2 wreck options but not a deciding factor.

St. Lucia.

The diving on Curacao is very nice and also affordable. I don't think there are any shark dive opportunities on Curacao, lots of shore dives many opportunities for night dives. Nice beaches where any non divers can hang out while you do a dive, or snorkel along from the surface. As far as wrecks go there is the superior producer, by all account very nice, but could not do it when we there because the kids were not ready that type of dive yet, next time for sure.

what a great choice to have to make.. lol

i would skip jamaica

st lucia is a beautiful location to visit. we enjoyed the diving but it was not spectacular

i was in antigua many years ago but could not really comment on it now

the bahamas would be an ideal choice to see sharks

never been to barbadoes but some family members have and they said it was pretty awesome. not sure about the diving though

never been to granada either but again, i hear it is awesome, and is supposed to have good diving

we enjoyed curacao. the shore diving was fantastic. but we did not see any big critters really (like sharks). i am sure the boat diving provides more opportunity for sharks etc

you may also wanna look into which location might have the best opportunity to see whales that time of year.

i would also add to be sure to look into what exactly is included with the "all inclusive diving". when we looked into similar resorts there were a lot of limitations on when you could dive and how many dives were allowed. we assumed when it said "unlimited" that it would be just that. with the resorts we checked that was not the case at all.

the first hurdle was being able to make a reservation. so it is kinda like trying to get a table for dinner at the a la carte restaurants. you need to bribe someone to ever get one. lol

then they may only go out for one dive in the a.m. and one in the p.m. which can really mess up your schedule if you really wanna do two dives per day.

perhaps sandals is better at accommodating divers? i am not sure. so make sure you know what you are getting. don't assume or you may be very disappointed.

I would try Sandals Curacao. The diving is good in general, and if you have a car there are a lot of options if you want to get off the ranch. You don't often see sharks there and I haven't heard of any ops doing "shark dives." There are some wrecks, with the Tugboat and Superior Producer being the best known - but whether you can get to them with any particular op when you want you'd have to check. Which op would best support a night dive (especially if you're not staying there) I dunno. Perhaps ask Ocean Encounters to start.

St Vincent might be a good option, but it's not opening until late March. (It's been delayed for years.) Not really known for sharks or other big stuff, but we've seen plenty of cool things there. It will be interesting to see how well they do at the diving. There aren't a ton of dive shops on the island and they're not too near Sandals, so if you don't like what Sandals has to offer your options are more limited.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom