Best Caverns in Northern Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright Sontek, I know we just got our Cavern training, but remember its Summer time. Salt water dude salt water.:D We will get Morrison knocked out for you if you go to Springfest. It is a very nice cavern.

Saltwater :shocked2: Quick, somebody give him another cookie!!!!!

Buford is amazing. It is one of my all time favorite dives. It is a very advanced dive though. I realize that it technically qualifies as a cavern but I would strongly recommend being cave certified before trying to enter it. The site drops down to around 160' and gets there pretty quickly. With the clarity of the water it would not be difficult to go beyond your limitations and not realize it.

You are several miles by car from any help as well as about a 1/4 mile walk to get to where you park after a nice trek through the swamp.

It is beautiful there and worth the trip but it is a dive that you should build up to IMO.

I also recommend you go with someone that has been there before on your first trip. It can be a little tricky to find.

I just got my cavern certification this weekend and now I'm looking for the best places to practice. Where do you guys suggest?

If you want to get practice on trim control and bouyancy,then a low flow cave is a good choice,since you'll have less elements to deal with. High flow caves can challange your reel work,and learning the cave to reduce to amount of flow. Personally,I think downstream Cow is a great cavern dive,and with the sandy floors,it is forgiving if you have an oops.

2 more for the list. Blue Hole at Ichetucknee or if you come down by Ocala there is Paradise Spring. Paradise is one of my favs do to it being a deeper dive about 99' in the cavern zone

I never understood why deeper was better?
I'm looking forward to some deep dives so I can rack up enough deco to finish a movie on my itouch+iDive300 housing....I HATE being cut off mid show! :D

In all seriousness, I don't care much for deep at all. I think it's something that really new divers like seeing, OMG I almost hit 100ft!!!...then grow out of.

What kind of experience are you looking for?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom