Best Day of Diving This Year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Blue, warm water greeted us at Little Reef near Pt. Vicente this morning. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed diving so much. It was the first time we could really explore this spot, as low visibility and surge usually keep us in one area. With better than thirty feet vis I actually used my fins today, covering a lot of underwater acreage. I made up for it with a long surface swim later.

Zebra gobies were everywhere along the bottom of the rocks. I saw at least two dozen. Nudibranchs from barely visible to giant black sea hares making spaghetti covered the rest of the reef. For the first time we even saw fish here. Black croakers, Halfmoons, Sargo, rockfish and a nice sized black yellow-fin fringehead were found.

We hated to leave, but we were going to look for more chestnut cowries laying eggs at Golf Ball Reef. We should have remained on the south side of Palos Verdes. Although it was calm, visibility was marginal at GBR. Still, we found a lot of animals and had fun. It was great to be back in the normal weekend routine.

Little%20Reef%202_zps5pryjqpq.jpg

Little%20Reef%203_zpsi4cnf77q.jpg

Little%20Reef%204_zpsfhvmzgtj.jpg

Little%20Reef%205_zps63tzolir.jpg

Little%20Reef%206_zpsjsgnqyxp.jpg

Little%20Reef%207_zpslentgwyb.jpg

Little%20Reef%208_zpssuoqm6ry.jpg

Little%20Reef%209_zpsx4ppkrwq.jpg

Little%20Reef%2010_zps1hnht77g.jpg

Little%20Reef%2011_zpsrvzmcd3n.jpg

Little%20Reef%2013_zpsgdwb3fwx.jpg

Little%20Reef%2015_zps5z6jsumh.jpg

Little%20Reef%2016_zps9w3f3ouf.jpg

Little%20Reef%2017_zpst7urxpc1.jpg

Little%20Reef%2018_zpsnegxfywp.jpg

GBR%201_zps4ywmglth.jpg

GBR%203_zpst1mizt0s.jpg

GBR%204_zps3ink1dt1.jpg

GBR%205_zpsygm7tvyr.jpg

GBR%206_zpskj6gdopl.jpg

GBR%207_zps1lwjb50f.jpg

GBR%208_zpsl56rpidt.jpg

GBR%209_zpsmnkq84qr.jpg

GBR%2010_zps1knqpp7o.jpg

Great pictures. I like the black fringe head looking fish....Conditions were perfect today at Catalina....It wasn't my best day of diving this year but it was a good one. It was my last day of my Instructor Exam...:D

Great weekend of diving here too. But warm water? Really?

shore dove honeymoon sun morning on the way in, under kelp, came across an area littered with golf balls. is this what you call golf ball reef?

The one I'm referring to is off Haggerty's. It's too far offshore for anyone to drive the balls from the cliffs. Someone dumped barrels and golf balls along the edge of the reef. There have even been a few new balls showing up lately. I do see people hitting balls off the cliffs from San Pedro to Haggerty's.

Love that first nudibranch picture -- so much motion and such lovely lines.

Is that a coffee bean shell above the cockerel's Dorid?

Beautiful photos!
We are here in so cal for a week. Would love suggestions of dive sites and shops if anyone is willing!
Thanks in advance!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom