Best dive operator in Coz for advanced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look I don't want to harm the Coz diving economy at all, but I cannot address this need honestly and then ignore it at my favorite destination. I know that many Ops there depend on the fill station for compressor needs and this saves those Ops from having to own and upkeep their own in the very competitive dive Op climate there. I enjoy the fruits of the competition, but cannot accept the poor regard for safety so far displayed by the main fill station: No inline monitors, no tester on hand, multiple reports of problems with no action other than talk.

I did ask about moving or continuing this to the other thread, but we can discuss it here. Wherever, it is a serious need. I don't want any hard feelings anywhere here, but I won't avoid the need for fear of such possibilities...
I know that you weren't diving with me, but your (the collective you's :) )posts gave me reason to look into this more.

I've been following up on this and doing my own little investigation/research on this the past couple of weeks. I have spoken to the general manager of the fill station about this and about the readings you were getting and am following up with other contacts as well. I hope to have some information and good news to share soon. Preliminary observations are that it's is probably not as bad as it appears :)
All the fill station has done with past complaints to my knowledge is talk, and whatever your intentions are here with these hints - it's still just idle talk. As I said in http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...349225-continued-carbon-monoxide-cozumel.html today...
ALL compressors need to have inline monitors that are competently maintained. We're a long ways from that to be sure, and it's going to take a lot to change this, but it's a serious need.

ALL serious Ops need to have two CO testers for spot checking tanks along with bottles of 10 or 20 ppm calgas for testing the testers. One is not enough since they do need to be sent off at times.

ALL serious divers need to be carrying field testers and checking tanks everywhere, since we cannot trust the above two needs - and this is the only way we can affect changes: Catch them in their mistakes!​
We are not talking about much money here either. The inline monitor is $1,000 installed, but how many thousands of fills does each compressor do a year? What are we looking at - 2c or 3c a tank in first year costs, virtually nothing in subsequent years maintenance...?
Do you have a CO tester? What brand?

We had two brands that both found it before I ruined mine; the other one that picked up the highest readings was checked and found to be accurate. I understand that many fine Ops including yours depend on the station, but they have been warned by divers before - yet still do not monitor or test, and it got worse. I am sorry that this can reflect on your business, but it is a real and dangerous problem commonly ignored over much the Caribbean area. This is not a new issue; just previously ignored.

Would you like to move these two posts and the discussion to the http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...349225-continued-carbon-monoxide-cozumel.html thread instead, or at least continued it there?
Christi posted again on this thread after my post, skipped answering, and I let it pass. Now I understand you two are associated, but I am not privy to details or as to whether you are speaking for her or what?
No, she does not, but the person she has contacted does, and considering the type of tech deep diving he does, I am sure its not a cheap one. Will provide details once we have them.
Glad y'all found one. I stick with my feelings that every Op needs two, and yeah I know they cost $200-300 each plus calgas, but the toxins needs to be measured. Whatever they cost, the need is the need. Otherwise you only hope.

Tank tests this month should be better than last month with the tremendous slow down I've read about there, as it's hot, busy compressors that are most likely to incur CO spikes. If you are going to publish test results, great - but do include the dates, and please understand that results can vary greatly not only month to month, day to day, but tank to tank. The first set of tanks a compressor fills while cool are much less at risk than a set filled later in the day when the air is warmer and the compressor has been busy. The lack of inline monitors is still a unforgivable omission.
So, you took him up on his offer and sent it to Houston for calibration checking, etc?
Haha.

Christi posted again on this thread after my post, skipped answering, and I let it pass. Now I understand you two are associated, but I am not privy to details or as to whether you are speaking for her or what?

:shakehead: I said I would post when I have more info - should have known not to even post anything until I have the info I am looking for. Until then, there is nothing for me to "discuss."

To answer some of the questions. I know Omar no longer lives on the island and spends a lot of time in Chicago as well as the rest of the world. He wass possibly going to be on the island if he could get a decent air fare. We have dove with him several times and have learned a lot from him.

We have been taking yearly family cruises for over 15 years now and always find a local dive operator on our stops. Omar was the first to take us to Devil's Throat because I did not lie about number of dives. At that time I guessed around 150 as I have never kept a log book. Certified in 1980 and now dive at least once a week from own boat in the Gulf spearfishing.

Sorry to use the word "Best", but was impressed with Aldora and thought it would be nice to give the a plug on the board for others seeking Dive operators in Coz.

Hi gang! I've been going to Cozumel for years now...try to go twice a year. Yes, Aldora is great, absolutely no question. My fav DMs there are Eduardo and Dario. I understand that Mateo is teaching new divers elsewhere now. Another great op is Living Underwater - Jeremy Anschel has a great boat, always comes through with steel 120s and lets you dive your computer limits. If the group is worthy, we do deco dives at Punta Sur, Colombia Deep and so forth routinely. My third fav is Bottom Time Divers, run by Raul Platas. Raul is probably the single friendliest person in Coz...his boat is fast, and he goes wherever the group wants...and also dives computer limits, sending air hogs up to the boat, while the rest of us continue the drift. Hope this helps...I love Coz!!

Never mind, didn't realize this was a zombie thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom