Best Dive Yet on Mutsu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IwakuniDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well the guys and went and hit Mutsu on the 23rd and it was by far the best dive yet. Visibility was in the 10m range even at 40m and water temp was a balmy 60 degrees F at depth. Weather was perfect and even the seas were calm with no current. As usual, I planned the dive on a day where flood tidal movement was only 4 feet.

For me this marks dives 7 and 8 on the wreck and I finally hit the remaining areas around the number 1 and 2 turrets. I did some light penetration into the port-side passageway and found the usual assortment of valves, pipes and debris. It was awesome to be able to see the number two turret entirely and finally get to appreciate its size. The real treat of the dive was locating the range finder for the forward-main guns in remarkably good shape. Of course the lenses were missing but it was an exciting find nonetheless.

The only real downside about the whole dive was my camera fogged up right after descent. Because of this, only one picture turned out but luckilly, it was the couple I snapped of the optics. I'll post the pic below. Does it look like brass to you guys?

Unfortunately since nobody else in my team has their equipment yet for diving doubles I had to do both dives on a single AL80. Not my favorite configuration but its better than not going at all.

All in all everyone had a blast. Its great that everyone in my team is very tight knit and there's nothing better than sharing a great dive like this one with friends.

5-23-076.jpg

Congratulations! What do you think about diving it in June? I am thinking of going there once more before summer. We dove it in July last year and had 50 cm visibility...

Thomas

TJO:
Congratulations! What do you think about diving it in June? I am thinking of going there once more before summer. We dove it in July last year and had 50 cm visibility...

Thomas

The guys and I have already started talking about going back in June so I can do some filming of the area. And you're right, its the last real good visibility window to hit the wreck as long as the water stays cool. I'm not sure on a date yet, I'll have to check the tides. Let me know when you want to go and maybe we'll all hook something up. I may even be able to hook you up with a better boat price through our charter. Up to you.

I have my double set up all ready and I'm itching to take it down on the wreck so I can spend some quality time down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom