Best Diving Near Cebu (Post Typhoon)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sam.gillin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

My wife and I are spending our honeymoon in the Philippines (flying in and out of Cebu City August 26th - September 10th). Given that we have just about two weeks, where are the diving hot spots that we should not miss. I’ve read about every similar thread on this topic and am feeling a bit overwhelmed - not to mention Typhoon Odette changing things drastically (from what I hear) in this region. So far, we’ve been looking at:

-Moalboal
-Bohol
-Siargao
-Siquijor

We’re both fairly capable divers (150+ dives) that enjoy walls, reefs, large animals, wrecks, swim throughs, etc.

Any and all recommendations would be much appreciated.

The island is relatively quiet so perfect for honeymoon. There are more expensive places to choose but definitely dive with Evolution.

You can add either Bohol, Dauin or Moalboal but no more than one place.

Have a memorable trip.

Thanks Centrals! Would you suggest Malapascua over Moalboal, Bohol, Siquijor?

The thresher sharks are great at Malapascua. Ys the island is quiet but I liked that. And Bohol was good as well. Plenty of good and easily accessible diving in clear waters. Plus stuff to do away from diving. Cebu itself didn’t do anything for me personally.

Speaking of Thresher sharks at Malapascua,

While you are in the neighborhood, might as well dive in Gato Island too.

Thanks Centrals! Would you suggest Malapascua over Moalboal, Bohol, Siquijor?
Two wks on a tiny island is too much for me because there is NOT much too do there. However, it is your honeymoon so you have to decide on that.
Moalboal is better logistically because it is only about 2hrs from Cebu City by car as there is no ferry to catch. There are some up market resorts in the area.
Siquijor is also very quiet but relatively far from Cebu City. Keep your eye on the weather if you stay there toward the end of the trip.

Salamangka Beach and Dive Resort.
German/Swiss management.
Another casualty of wuhan virus.

Wow thank you all! Really appreciate everyone’s input.

As Centrals mentioned, I think logistically, it’d be easiest to fly into Cebu and head to moalboal, Bohol, and siquijor. Other than the threshers, Is the diving in malapascua much better than the other three locations?

I thought you enjoy large animal, swim through and wreck. None of those three places can offer either one of them.
With private transfer it is about 4hrs by private transfer(car + boat) from Cebu City to Malapascua. Quite expensive to be honest.
Moalboal has a school of sardine.

You need to find out the accurate ferry schedule to Siquijor.

Wow thank you all! Really appreciate everyone’s input.

As Centrals mentioned, I think logistically, it’d be easiest to fly into Cebu and head to moalboal, Bohol, and siquijor. Other than the threshers, Is the diving in malapascua much better than the other three locations?

Yes. I have been to those places you mentioned on Infiniti liveaboard for 2 weeks back-to-back around Cebu going around the north and south Visayas sea and stayed a week at Evolution in Malapascua. The best diving sites there are in Malapascua. It is the only place in the world to see Thresher Sharks in close encounter in their cleaning station. So, don’t miss that chance when you’re in Cebu!

Awesome thank you Dan and Centrals. If we were to add moalboal, Bohol, siquijor to our itinerary in addition to malapascua, which one(s) would you pick for a combo of topside activities and diving? Seems like moalboal has lots of activities in the surrounding areas (kawasan falls etc.).

Back
Top Bottom